Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:53 pm 
Hello All,

New to the DSLR camera world and want to buy a good beginner camera.
I've searched all over the web for information and alas I'm overwealmed by all the choices. I'm contemplating the following for $920.00

1.Canon EOS Rebel XTi, Camera Body
2.Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens
3.Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Zoom Telephoto Autofocus Lens
4.Digital Photo Viewer
5.3GB Memory Card
6.High Speed Card Reader
7.LCD Screen Protectors
8.Deluxe Lens Cleaning Kit
9.Deluxe Hard Camera Case
10.Full Size Tripod
11.Lens Pouch
12.Memory Card Case
13.Cap Keeper
14.Wrist Strap
15.2 UV Filter

Would anyone please let me know if this makes sense and what am I missing.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:29 pm 

Hi Koric,

A warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

You have a great shopping list there which is good value for the budget. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about an LCD Screen Protector unless you expect the screen to get some rough handling as the camera case will likely offer all the protection you need.

As for the lenses, you've covered the essential range though some might argue that 28mm doesn't offer a very wide angle of view for indoor and landscape shots (the kit lens in Europe is the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 but that misses out at the telephoto end of the range). One thing to bear in mind is that, except for the Canon "L" lenses, lens hoods don't come as standard and can be very useful to help protect the front of the lens as well as preventing stray light affecting your shots.

The tripod sounds like a great idea but if you intend to hike with it then make sure it can be folded up into a convenient and fairly light package.

The built-in flash of the XTi is fine but if you expect to take lots of indoor shots then it might be an idea to allocate a little cash for a flash gun. You don't have t get it straight away, though, as you can see how you get on without one initially.

It might be an idea for you to share with us what sort of photography you want the XTi to do really well. That will help inform advice an your choices.

Bob.

P.S. It's not a problem but I moved your post here to the Canon forum as this is a Canon specific set of questions and you are likely to get the best response here.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Koric, I'd agree with Bob - neither of those lenses will give you wide angle capabilities - 28mm on the XTi is equivalent to 45mm (you multiply everything by 1.6 times), which isn't wide at all. I'd be looking for something which starts closer to 18mm on one of the lenses.

I'm also personally a bit sceptical about these bundles which shops put together which include a ton of accessories which may not be required or may be of a poor standard - like the tripod or card for instance. Shops invariably overcharge you for the accessories.

I'd sooner choose the camera and lenses which I want, then buy the accessories which I need - and crucially be able to choose the right type.

Of course if the total price of the bundle is the same as buying the body and same lenses by themslves, then go for it! But I'd consider other bundles too, especially one with a more useful wide angle lens. Maybe look for an XTi kit with the 18-55mm and the 70-300mm - you won't miss the 55-70mm gap that much.

Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:37 am 

Koric wrote:

1.Canon EOS Rebel XTi, Camera Body
2.Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens
3.Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Zoom Telephoto Autofocus Lens
4.Digital Photo Viewer

Thanks

Hi Koric and welcome to the forum.

I'm a little skeptical of this deal for the following reasons:

XTi Body sells new for around $650
28-135 lens sells new for around $350
70-300 lens sells new for around$550

What is the Digital Photo Viewer?

All of that would be quite a bargain for $920 unless it's used gear and even then it's a good deal. I would be very cautious of purchasing this from an online retailer before checking out: www.resellerratings.com

Otherwise the gear you are looking at would be good as long as you keep in mind what Gordon and Bob have said about missing out on the wide end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:45 pm 
Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for this information. I think I'm overwhelmed a bit, especially when picking lenses! :shock: . I really don't want to go the 'package' route if I can find the right value.

As to my photo experience... I have always had a point and shoot, right now a 4 year old Canon Powershot. I love taking landscapes but always lacked the ability to draw up close to interesting aspects of the scenery as well as a panoramic shot when I'd like. So I'm looking to see if my creative eye is 'really' there.

Any recommendation, help, advice would be great.

Thanks

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:03 pm 

Hi Steve,

Forgive me, but I removed your "quote" of my first reply in your last post in order to keep the thread more readable. I'm sure other members will continue to offer advice but, for the moment, I'd just like to echo "seattlesteve"'s remark that you seem to be getting a lot of kit for the budget. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:27 pm 
Thanks,

I took seattlesteve's advice and went to resellers and found horrible reviews for this company and another that had the same package. :x . So I'm back on the hunt again, very flexible with $1000.00 budget.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:38 pm 

Bad luck on the ResellerRating search but I'm glad you found out in time. It seems incredible to me that there isn't some sort of Trading Standards authority who can fine and/or close these crooks down.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:57 pm 

Like Bob said, good thing you checked before they took your money and ran. There are still some options for you around the $1k mark.

BH Photo has:
XTi (black body), 18-55 kit lens, 2gb CF card for $700. The kit lens isn't great, but it will get you started in DSLR photography.

You could also add something like the Canon 50mm F/1.8 lens for $75. Learning to shoot with a prime lens is one of the best ways to go. It's a fast (good in low light) and sharp lens. It would be hard to beat its performance for the price.

If you are really excited to get a telephoto lens you can pick up a Sigma 70-300 for $140.

Total = $915

So, for around the same price as your original deal you can get a good DSLR setup from a well known, reputable dealer. That other stuff: wrist strap, memory card case, deluxe cleaning kit, screen protector, etc... is just 'fluff' retailers add to the deal to make it seem like you're getting a lot for nothing. Those things that are listed are very inexpensive and you will most likely find little use for them so don't let things like that sway your decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:53 pm 
Thanks Steve, Bob and Gordon for all the input! I'll let you know what I finally decide on doing. I have to make this decision soon before my wife changes her mind and finds some other place for the funds. :D

I'm leaning toward the suggestions Steve has made... as I really know nothing about camera lenses and your experience will be my guide.

I also appreciate the suggestion to check out the vendors... I would have hated the experience I'm sure by what I've read.

Thanks again.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:18 pm 
All,

Another question about Image Stabilization. I would want to be able to take landscape, etc without using a tripod. Would any of the suggested lenses :

18-55 lens, Canon 50mm F/1.8 , Sigma 70-300 for $140. Be okay for that or would I need something else. This would be just a lens to walk about with.

Thanks

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:22 pm 

Hi Steve,

By all means follow seattlesteve's suggested shopping list but it might be an idea to check the CameraLabs partner site prices and, even better, our affiliate store prices. If you can find an affiliate store which is cheaper then shopping there will help support the CameraLabs site and possibly ease any situation with "she who must be obeyed" :wink:

Bob.