Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:23 am 
Thank you very much for the warm welcome and the kind words I got here.
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1792

I am still getting the hang of basic picture taking with my new G9. Here's are my few concerns.

Good things

1. Overall look of the black camera is awesome.
2. Crispy top notch LCD
3. Many controllers (too many for me it seems :D )
4. Awesome pictures

I miss mostly
1. The grip is horrible comparing to my DX7440
comparing the weight of G series here I guess Canon really have to do something. It is impossible to manage with single hand without shake.
2. The shutter button itself is lousy and awkwardly positioned and small. It's hard to get the hang of the half press, It always tend to take the photo when I try to focus.
3.View Finder is better than nothing, you can see the lens sometimes, still worse you can't get a proper view with it.
4. Videos takes too much space for a given take. JPEG sizes also are slightly larger for a given mpix but I am okay with it

Apart from those it's nice camera which takes wonderful pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chanbingo, thanks for your comments - yeah, the shutter release is quite odd on the G9, but what's stranger is how quickly you get used to it! I hated it at first, but soon forgot all about it!

Have you tried the timelapse yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:01 am 
Yeah Gordon, Thanx..

I would like to try this time lapse thing when I get some free time but not sure whether I can handle it without a AC/DC adapter. I like to try on a flower blooming or something. Will the battery last? I should try it .

BTW I've gotta strange long exposure shot which I don't know what's going on in technically. To do that I would like to post the picture here but I see no way to do it without linking from somewhere else.

So I appreciate if someone direct me for best ways how to post images here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:46 am 

Hi Chanbingo,

I would agree with you on many of your points.

It's absolutely a beautiful looking, retro styled camera. When it's in the SD-SC55a case it reminds me a little of an old Canon Canonet.

I have mixed feelings about the LCD though. I like the fact that it's large, fairly high resolution, and bright, but I don't like the slightly cool color cast I get on it. It's not really a true representation of the actual image, but it is a little troubling that it doesn't reflect the actual image colors.

The shutter release hasn't been an issue for me though and the I haven't even bothered messing with the optical viewfinder. Although I have considered getting something like the Voigtlander 35mm viewfinder.

The grip could be better, but there is a great looking third party grip that can be added for around $25 and looks almost like it came from Canon as original equipment.

The time-lapse mode is a lot of fun. I was using with just the battery mode and it took photos for about two hours, the battery didn't die, but I think there's a limit to how long it will record, check the manual for that.

I guess the bottom line is this: Would I recommend this camera for my friends and family? Yes, without hesitation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:42 am 

Chanbingo wrote:
So I appreciate if someone direct me for best ways how to post images here.

Thomas covered the mechanics of adding an image into a post in this post but you still need somewhere on the web to host your pictures. Lots of the folk here use Flickr but if you would like more choices then browse the forums and "right-click" on some of the images and select Properties. That should give you a selection of other hosting sites that members use.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:04 am 
Thanks for the replies...

Yeah, true the LCD has a colour cast and it doesn't reflect the correct picture recorded. Anyway it's easy to frame with.

Also I noticed that for point and shoot auto white balance is too not that accurate sometimes, of cos we can set manual settings though. So I have set it for Natural.

For the viewfinder I would love to get Voigtlander 35mm viewfinder but not sure whether I would be able to get hold of one.

By the time I ordered this lens adapter: http://cgi.ebay.com/UV-Polarizer-Adapter-Kit-for-Canon-Powershot-G7-G9_W0QQitemZ180172918987QQihZ008QQcategoryZ30066QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Will be looking forward for them.

Yeah I will look into picture posting matter, may be try with Flickr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:33 pm 
just got one of these based on the major review sites including Camera Labs, unfortunately none of the reviews noticed that you cannot capture RAW while connected to a laptop. Could we expect a firmware update from Canon to correct this or is it more likely to be considered for the next model if enough people complain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:04 pm 

Hi merlin617,

A warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

That's an interesting observation and one that may interest those considering purchase of the G9. I can't find any reference to such a limitation in the manual. Not having a G9 I can't test this but it might help others if you could indicate what software you are using and any other settings which might allow them to reproduce the problem.

My own camera, an EOS 40D, has no issues at all of this type. I can have the camera connected to a laptop and either fire the shutter on the camera directly or remotely from the computer. Images are transferred courtesy of the EOS Utilities.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:28 am 
This is interesting, I also haven't notice anything regards PC/ RAW capture but it is understandable we should be able to do it.

BTW I ain't got the pc cable with me to check it, I will check it the soon I get it back.

Still you can try this third party program for PC capture, please try out and report us your findings..

Cheers!

http://alkenius.no-ip.org/Cam4you/