Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:22 am 
Hi, I'm new to DSLR photography but keen to learn and so have just invested in a Canon 40D with 17-85 lens on Friday 26th October. On Sunday (two days later) I noticed a new sound which had not been apparent when I first started to familiarise myself with the camera. This sound is a "click" which occurs when I move the zoom lens from around just beyond the 17mm mark. It does not occur when I move the zoom back to the 17mm mark, but only when move it beyond this mark. This sound, as I say, was new on Sunday but not present on Friday (when I got the camera) or Saturday. The lens appears to be working normally apart from this click. I have not dropped or knowingly damaged the camera. Could anyone help explain what is causing this new clicking sound and whether it is significant and needs repaired? I am most grateful for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:33 am 
Site Admin

Hi Rosco, congrats on your purchase - nice kit!

Is the click sound when you move the zoom ring, or are you hearing the IS system kick-in when you half-press the shutter release button? It is audible.

If it's when it zooms, you may have a slightly damaged lens. I'd try going into a shop and comparing your lens with one of theirs to see if it replicates the problem.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:49 am 
Hi Gordon, thanks for your expert advice.

The click sound only occurs when I move the zoom lens, so I think I will try going back to the shop today, if I can make myself enough time to do so. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again,

Rosco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:37 pm 
Thankfully the shop exchanged the lens for a new non-clicking lens. However I still don't know why the lens was clicking.