Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:04 am 

Useful post. Shame it's just one long paragraph. Makes it difficult to read.

I have the 40d and am very happy with it. I had looked at the 7d but it is too close to the 40d for it to be a genuine upgrade.

I am looking at the 5d mk3, when it comes out later in the year, for a next camera. I am not someone who upgrades constantly, selling my previous cameras. I would keep the 40d. It clearly is still a very good camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:59 pm 
Sorry stuart,
it was late and did not put much thought into it that way. But glad you found it helpful as that was my goal with it. Yes i do agree with you that the 40d is a camera that to this day holds its own very well. I just feel ashamed about where the new cameras are headed, and i feel that some times we just need to slow down and look for what got us to where we are today when it comes to technology. I never said it in my post but the 7d is one of the best video cameras i've ever shot with, but as a photo shooter its just missing the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:24 pm 
I went back and fixed it a little, It is my intention to post in a relaxed and informative manner that is light on the brain and only as technical as it needed to be. Thanks David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David, it's always good to hear different opinions, but I think many of us would also like to see actual examples about what you're discussing.

Please show us images taken with both cameras using the same lens and settings. Make sure both are mounted on a tripod and both are taken within moments of each other. Please link to the original high res images somewhere like flickr so we can take a closer look.

Ultimately if you prefer the 40D, I bet you could find many owners who'd be happy to swap it for your 7D. Or see if you can return your 7D for a refund.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:03 pm 
This was done about a week ago and all of the testing done was over my friends house as he help me with this, plus it was his 40D. I'm calling him tonight and see what he still has. As you know i don't make my living reviewing cameras, you know i have over $2600 tied up in this gear that i want back "This was out of my pocket, no camera makers donated to this test". I have already started selling the gear, as i can use this money to up my Nikkor Glass. So any further shots is out of the question. As for the 40D guys that might want the 7D, its on ebay and i could always use more bidders on this camera. I'll post some shots soon, let me get them from my friend who owns the 40D. I can see where you might think I'm making this up. But i feel any one that owns this camera knows exactly what i'm talking about. I was just so unhappy with this camera its sickening, there is no way i saw this coming or i would have never paid hard earned money for it.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm 

interesting, I would like a bit more detail, show me some pics of what you don`t like.

I have had a read through your previous posts and even back in August and September you were not happy with the 7D and 60D, you now say you liked it, so why did you buy it??

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:45 am 
Quote:
I have had a read through your previous posts and even back in August and September you were not happy with the 7D and 60D, you now say you liked it, so why did you buy it??

I said i liked it when it came in, before i ever took a shot with it.

You would have to live in a cave not to see that the 7D was one of the highest recommended cameras out there. Plus The review that was done here just about said it was the best semipro apsc camera to date. After a lot of time thinking about the camera and looking at how much money could be saved on canon l lenses over Nikkor glass was a big plus also. No you don't have to be a google expert to find out that 7D is starting to have a big falling out with camera owners every where. The camera defects are starting to show up, like the camera not waking up after some time asleep. But most of all soft focus shots is one of the biggest. All i wanted to do was just share what happen to me over the last two weeks.

As for the photo's we took, my friend informed me that it was several gigs of space and he needed to clean out his light-room as it was bogging down. I have photo's and are about to post them, but as for the 40D photos I can't post. He wanted to re-shoot them to once in for all show what we found. But the 7d is boxed up ready to ship as soon as i receive payment from the buyer when it ends in a couple of days. I just don't know if i want to risk any thing happening to the camera before i sell it, i really don't want to lose any more money then i have to on this camera.

My wife is about to kill me over this whole 7D thing as we speak! I been shooting weddings and better iso would really help alot. But after this loss, i could have just bought the D700 and got about two full stops better iso over the d300s. I would have been alot better off for the same amount of money spent.

Heed my warning or don't its up to you, and its your money. I just shared what my experience was with the camera. It was very hard to get tack sharp images, its the same thing all over the internet, and the same thing me and a fellow canon shooter was getting. One of the best rules of thumb is to shoot your shutter speed two times your focal length for hand holding. But that don't help hardly at all with this camera with out being in direct sunlight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:22 am 
Here are some of the shots with the walk-around lens.

Focal length : 76mm
ISO : 200
Shutter speed: 1/160th

and here is the full image link. http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/anarki2009/7d/_MG_83961.jpg

one more

Focal length : 135mm
ISO : 800
Shutter speed: 1/1,600

and here is the full image link.
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/anarki2009/7d/_MG_84331.jpg

The eye closest to the camera as all ways is the focus point. I just cant get any detail out of the photos and the subject is only about 5 feet away in every shot. I will next post shots with the two canon l lenses.. Going to eat first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:21 am 

I don't think there is anything wrong with the IQ of the camera as it has pretty good reviews across the board.
I suspect you got a bad copy which can happen regardless if it's a new camera, car or a pair of shoes.
It would have been easier to just trade it in for another body, that's what warranties are for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:01 am 

funnily enough I have similar shots that don`t look sharp. Most of those came from using the 50mm 1.8. It back focuses.
Judging from the photo the camera has focused on the jumper.

Maybe consider resetting the camera to put all settings back to default, then spot focus and try again. If that doesn`t work try focusing using manual and the live view screen and zooming in, maybe you camera body`s focusing is out.
It may need to be looked at by Canon.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:20 am 
Ok i hear what you guys are saying but let me say this. If a lens is back focusing then its the lens that need to be re-calibrated not the camera, that what canon rep. told me friday. I called canon usa and they told me to send the lens in not the camera, so i did just waiting on canon to tell me the lens is ok. But i used 3 lenses on this camera and 2 of which is L glass, not just one. The lenses worked great on the 40D,and i told the canon rep. this. He still told me it was the lens not the body. Here is the email from my canon repair Status.

Canon
Factory Service Center

12022 Canon Boulevard

Newport News , VA 23606

Telephone:
866-510-1335

Fax:
757-579-1397

Track your repair Online: www.usa.canon.com/repair

Equipment:
EF 24-70 2.8L USM

DAVID BILLEY
**** RAIN FOREST RD,
ONALASKA, TX 77***

Repair #:
VB123***

Received:
February 25, 2011

Estimated

February 25, 2011

Can't wait to get this lens back so i can sell it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:21 am 
Quote:
Maybe consider resetting the camera to put all settings back to default, then spot focus and try again.
I did with no luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:52 am 
As for my 7D needing repair, from looking in the lens gallery my 7D is right on time with all of yours. Here is the link to the ef-17-40 lens gallery one of the lenses we used. It starts off with 40d's and 50d's with tack sharp then at the bottom is a 7d and the pics are soft also. The next page is a 40d and it is tack sharp and clear. but the shot done with the 7d on there is the same i got with mine on the 17-40 lens also. here is the link
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4568

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:01 am 

How is it when you focus manually?
Selling is an option, but since you got serious concerns, they should be addressed by Canon. At least they should look at it.

just looked at those pics, that isn`t a good comparison. They are all different shots, who knows what settings were used when processing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:21 am 
Ok we are in luck, my friend just emailed me the only photo he has left of my 7d with the 17-40 lens on it. Now this photo has been worked in light-room as we had a hard time making the 7d keep up with the 40d. Even after being worked it did not look as nice as the 40d. So here take a look and see what i'm talking about my 7d shoots the same as all others.

F4.5 @ 1/100th sec.

link to the full
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/anarki2009/7d/_MG_8361-2.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next