Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 34  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:27 pm 
Yep, still takes photos... I checked on that before I bought it!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:47 am 
Oh this is great! I am thinking on buying this. Give me some time ;) LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:58 am 
:(

Hi,
I have recently got the Canon 7D with the 18/200 EF lens. Have had absolutely no issues with the camera until last week.
Had gone for a Tiger safari in India, and on the drives i would leave the camera on and ready for shooting any wildlife we may come across.
However, i noticed that when the camera was kept in the ON position for a period of time (15 mins or more) the camera would not come on, and i would need to do a hard reset (remove and re-insert the battery). The top LCD would show ERROR 40. It was quicker for me to turn the camera off and switch it on if we came across anything.

Anyone else face this problem?? Two factors that i think may have caused this, the camera is unable to come out of standby mode (power save) and/or the low temperature (approx 3deg C + wind coz of driving in an open top vehicle) caused this problem.

I live in a moderate temperature most of the year around. if this is because of the low temperature, i think i can live with turning the switch off when in low temperature environments.

Any suggestions???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:06 am 

no ideas, I leave mine on all the time and it wakes up no problems, but then haven`t tried it in cold weather either.

Try a " clear all camera settings"

dirty or slightly loose battery terminals?

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:30 pm 

A quick search suggests that indicates some sort of problem with the battery power. If possible try cleaning the contacts even if they look ok.

I don't know if it might provide a clue but also look at what the camera displays as the battery info in the 7D menu.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:28 pm 

I agree with Maxjj ... I have no such problem with mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 am 
kunal,

My 7D will be a year old in February 2011. Its been in the islands, on boats, in rain showers and snow showers over the past year. Dec 30th went to NYC, it was 5 degrees (F) when we left the house. Walking around Times square taking a few photos I got the error to remove battery and replace a few times. Then the camera decided not to work or power up at all. At this time if was probably 22 degrees (F). replaced the little coin battery for the memory, charged both batteries, switched out 3 different lenses and nothing worked. looked all over the internet and no real issue for the error listed.

Sent my camera back to the NJ service center Monday the 3rd with my fingers crossed. heard so many stories on this error not being covered due to water intrusion. Its been in weather, rained on etc but never immersed in water or soaking wet! been in major humidity while switching lenses etc... was very worried about condensation and or corroision. I guess the weather sealing worked

Just got email from Canon today, camera was covered under warranty and shipping out tomorrow. The email did not give me details of what they fixed. So i called the service line. Gal looked up the ticket.

"They replaced the Battery Door and a screw" Thats what she said..... Take a look at the battery door and see what might be a switch or something that makes contact to let the camera know the battery door is closed. Thats the only thing i can come up with that makes sense. There should be a full ticket on the warranty work in the box when i get the camera back. If anything is different i will let you know.

Canon turned my camera around fast. Shipped Monday, they got it Tuesday and fixed it today, Wednesday the 5th. It will ship tomorrow and i will have it Thursday.

If anyone else gets this error and you get it fixed please post what the casue/fix was.

PS. Mods, sorry if this post is in the wrong place. Maybe start a topic just for errors and fixes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 pm 
@Popo
The camera is barely 2 months old....

I doubt if its an issue with the contacts, coz the the issue would only arise if i kept the camera in the ON position. if i kept it switched off, and would turn it on when needed it would be up and running in a split second!

I am gonna try to live with this until the next time im in such a cold environment, have had no issue once ive gotten back home (22deg C).
If the error comes up again, i guess ill have to send it to Canon. Theyll probably take 2 weeks to fix it since Canon doesnt have a full fledged centre where i live :(

Thanks Boatjunkie, will be great to know more once you get your 7D back. Cheers![/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 am 
I got it back in 3 days. Brand new battery door and a screw. thats it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:34 am 

Kunal,

I had an issue with my XTi where it would randomly lock when I tried to use the on-board flash. It would work several times in a row, and then not work. This happened more if it was taking a picture in a darker environment. The lens image would move in the viewfinder, then stop, and the camera would not respond at all. Turning the camera off did not make the on indicator light turn off. I could not get it to respond until I removed the batteries and re-inserted them.

Turns out one battery was dead and the other one was low. The bad battery was taking all the juice of the good one; even though the camera reported it had enough charge.

I wrote all that in order to give you an idea on some of the weird things that can happen when a battery is low or dieing.

I understand the camera is just 2 months old. However, you may want to check out the battery to see if a new one has the same issues; once you start to be able to re-produce it. No one can make something work all the time and anything/everything that is made will break down.

Also, batteries are susceptible to cold weather. It could be the cold environment was draining your charge.

So Popo suggestion was on how to make the batteries have a better connection with the camera. His research indicated it might be a problem with the batteries. I would not necessarily dismiss it just because it is new; however unlikely.

The good news is because it is so new, you can let the professionals deal with it if you do not want to try to figure it out yourself and not have to pay for that repair if it is covered under the warranty.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon 430EX II
Opteka 13mm, 21mm, and 31mm extension tubes
Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 for OM System

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:02 am 

7D focusing in Servo mode.
Have a bit of problem getting in focus, sharp photos when focusing on fast moving subjects. I am talking kids running or riding bike or even tracking birds.

I had put it down my mistakes, but have started investigating this a bit further.

I did a bit of googling on you tube and found some of the video`s useful, but wouldn`t really recommend one. I learnt a bit from a number of them.

Basically I switched the AI servo tracking sensitivity to max and tracking method to continues.
Also enabled a couple more AF area selection, first pic priority and then tracking priority.

Seems to have made a big difference with tracking the running boy, when I did a little experiment tonight, the pics where pin sharp. Prior to this it would often front focus. Keen to try this on some flying birds now as I have been getting way to many bad ones.

Curious to hear from other 7D owners and what they have found with the AI servo and what settings they use.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:28 pm 

I haven't switched mine away from the default settings yet. Kinda used to what it does now, not to say that is optimal.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:46 pm 

now this is worth reading. Spotted this when googling.

http://www.garyluhm.net/bio/tips_0310.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:30 am 

been playing some more with the AI Servo.
The setting that seems to make the most difference is C Fn 3 then 3 set to " Continuous tracking method" instead of Main Focus priority.

Had a few nice shots tracking the kids on the bikes, all in focus and then saw the Galah`s flying overhead.
Centre Spot Focus, AI Servo and tracking sensitivity back to normal.

These are pretty heavily cropped. Much happier now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:19 am 
Hi guys, i know its been some time since i have posted but i have some info i would like to share. I know i posted some time back about the 60d and also the 7d, so i took the advice of some of you and went out and got a 7d with a 24-70L 2.8 lens.

I really liked the 7D when it came in, i was still waiting on the lens so i could not take any shots yet. The 7d was built like my Nikon and had all the same bells and whistles as my D300s plus some extras. How sweet was this a canon that was grand to hold and just felt like it was made for my hand only. The menu was like a new HD tv with the new screen, and the menu colors looked sweet. So i drove over 70 miles to take it over a friends house and put a 17-40L lens on the camera, So we started taking some shots. Filled up a memory card a couple times, then went in for some peaking on the computer. It was an bad over cast day so the sun never really broke out on this day.

It was one of the biggest let downs i have ever had in my life. So i gave up and took a walk-around lens and did some more shooting over the next couple of days. Still no useable images. Then like a knight in shining armor the UPS guy showed up with the 24-70L lens. My prayers have been answered, I now can play!! All i wanted to do was see what the hype was around this body, and how well it would hold up against my D300s.

I need some out side help, maybe i was having a hard time adjusting to the canon, so i had a good friend that has always shot with canon 40d to help me out. After some time and 8850 shutter releases this is what we came up with.

Before i tell you that let me tell you a story, we was looking at images on his computer in light-room and another friend came over. This friend has never cared about cameras and don't know much about photography. I have got a degree in photography and was stunned about what he said. He asked if this was the camera my friend with the 40d wanted to buy, my friend said yes. He then said why, it does not shoot as nice as your old 40d. WOW we was thinking the same thing, so i knew then that anyone could see this also.

The 7D fell short of the 40d with the same lenses on it and short of the D300s, I don't have any super high end Nikkor Glass on the D300s, so its not the lenses, lol i put better glass on this 7d then my nikon ever had on it. We could not get the image off the camera to look like any of the others with out some heavy post production. The sun did come out for a little and the camera started to come up a bit. But still just a big loss of money and time, Iso performance still not up to par, you might say "hey because its pushing 18 mega pixels". If it has more noise then a old 10 mega pixel camera then your still going backwards, and hard to get that tack sharp image with the camera. The camera in the same light as the d300s and 40d could not match them in shutter speeds with out pushing up the iso even at the same f-stop.

I feel this camera does not handle low light very well at all, and don't under stand why its been rated so hi. Maybe canon users has been waiting along time for the bells and whistles of some of the 1d cameras in a semipro, that when they got it they was just too happy to see that the image was suffering.

I don't know and don't care one way or another, if your looking to upgrade to this camera think again. I know some of you might say "hey maybe you got a bad one". LOL Maybe there was alot of bad ones because i see the same shots we got time and time again all over the internet. Its just a subpar camera period, and canon ought to feel bad about this model.

If you have this camera and are happy with it Great. I wish i could have been too, at first i really loved it alot. Also i was getting happy because canon 70-200 2.8l was alot cheaper then nikkor and i could own it too real soon. I called my friend and told him how i felt at first, he was laughing his butt off. He always wanted me to switch over to canon with him, i felt like the day was coming.

Now he's having second thoughts about canon, and one day might switch over to nikon. He said he don't know if he can trust in canon to do right with the next camera, and that you can't take reviews as a final word. Man i was so afraid that i would have to come back and tell Gordon Laing that i was wrong and that I'm sorry, but i feel i was not.

So it comes down to just spending the money and hope it all works out in the end. Now if some of you try to say that I'm trolling think again, I own both cameras and just trying to share my findings, or our findings as i had help. Thanks for reading and good luck.

Last edited by AnArKi on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 34  Next