Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:54 pm 
I went for the 50mm f1.8 mkII, since it was so cheap, but disapointed in the noise it made when focusing and feel very cheap when focusing manualy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:28 pm 
FazerUK wrote:
I went for the 50mm f1.8 mkII, since it was so cheap, but disapointed in the noise it made when focusing and feel very cheap when focusing manualy.

It does feel cheap and is noisy, because it's cheap!! But it still has very good image quality!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:10 pm 

Was a canon 50mm 1.4 for a good while but sold it on and bought the Sigma 50mm 1.4, outshines the canon way more!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:40 pm 
I have a 1.8 but if i get on well with it I cant see any reason why I wouldn't get a 1.4! 1.8 is so cheap and amazing to use would highly recommend it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:04 am 
none at the moment but I want to get the 50mm 1.8 version mostly because price, second because speed, sounds backwards I know but thats just the way I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:04 am 
I went with the EF50mm f/1.4 USM. I'm big on DoF and low light/available light photography, so it was easy for me to decide on the 1.4. I also LOVE having USM. It really does make a huge difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:49 pm 

1.8 simply because it's cheap. It's noisy and the autofocus is worse in really low-light conditions than my other lenses, but it's still a great lens. Great value for the money
The shallow DoF is amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 pm 
I bought the 1.4 because of its price (compared to the 1.2, it's really cheap), nice bokeh and wide aperture.

The build construction could be better, but then I guess that's the reason why they make the 1.2L. But don't get me wrong, this is my default low-light lens, I'm fully satisfied with this purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:46 am 
I bit the bullet after much research and angst between the 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 primes. I wound up ordering the 1.8 for use on my 40D because from all I read, build quality was the major difference - not performance. Well, I have to agree this 1.8 is kind of Fischer-Price built, but I am very satisfied with the results I am getting from it.

I used the $250+ difference saved by not getting the 1.4 and threw it into Canon's 85mm 1.8 prime which is built much better and yields outstanding results. The 50mm 1.8 is primarily used inside where distance-to-subject is often times too cramped for the 85mm which is better suited for large rooms and outside.

I haven't used the 50mm f/1.4 but feel I made the right decision since the pics I get with the 1.8 are truly amazing for the price of the lens. I am always careful with my equipment and always use a lens hood, so the build quality does not bother me. Sure would be nice if they threw on a ring USM though, and I wish the 50mm 1.8 AND the 85mm 1.8 had IS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:11 pm 

Canon EF 50mm lenses the subject of the greatest disputes in the world :!:

Post subject: Oleg
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:22 pm 

Thumper26 wrote:
I used the $250+ difference saved by not getting the 1.4 and threw it into Canon's 85mm 1.8 prime which is built much better and yields outstanding results. The 50mm 1.8 is primarily used inside where distance-to-subject is often times too cramped for the 85mm which is better suited for large rooms and outside.

HI! Very interesting! 85/1.8- The main purpose of the portrait?That is not enough.
YOU Use for street, landscape, architecture, nature? Your opinion is important Excuse my English :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:04 pm 
I just bought the 50mm 1.8 and i must say, apart from the plastic this lens is worth £1000!
Image quality is superb, so cheap but spot on focussing!
Everyone should have one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:37 pm 

Hi Frederic

Congratulations! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:48 pm 
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 ,yep I bought this mainly due to the price.I just recently got into photography and based upon reviews.it was suggested that I look into getting one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:53 pm 
The image quality of the 50mm f/1.8 is as good as the f/1.4,What the f/1.8 lacks is build quality and has a 5 blade aperture. What the f/1.4 lacks is ring type USM focusing. For a lens that has all of this, look at the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens, So I'd recommend you get the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens now, and get the Sigma when you need and can afford a better lens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next