Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:10 am 

I have a compact digital camera and am considering moving up to a dslr.
Canon is one of two brands I am considering, but gong no higher than the Rebel XTI.
I like using the preset modes, but want the flexibility to easily take control for myself.
Which model camera do you have, how well do you like the preset modes on your camera, and how easy is it to transition from an automatic mode to either aperture or shutter priority?
If you think there is somehting else I should know, feel free.
Thanks,

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:23 am 

I don't think I have ever used any of the preset modes. I find myself in Av 90% of the time and then switch over to Tv when shooting sports and motion sensitive subjects. However, to answer your question, it is VERY easy to switch back to the preset modes if you're in a manual mode. It only takes the rotation of the top dial and you're set.

I'm using 'old' technology now, a 20D, so things may have changed, but you don't always have very many options when you jump into an automatic mode. You may not be able to shoot in RAW, you may not have a choice of compression levels when shooting jpeg, you may not have control over ISO, you might not get a choice of metering, etc...

All that said, I think you'll love having the flexibility and speed of a DSLR. The sheer speed of going from a compact P&S up to a DSLR is worth the upgrade, let alone the image quality of a larger sensor and the reduced noise when shooting at higher ISO's. The only advice I have is to watch your lens budget closely, it can spin out of control very fast. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:46 am 

Thanks for the input, Steve.
Is there a fast & easy way to determine what you are losing by looking at the displays on the camera.
I'm afraid the folks at my camera shop are not totally knowledgeable on all cameras and I don't think they will let me take home a manual without buying the camera.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:24 am 

Usually you can get the manual on the manufacturer's site.

e.g.

www.canon.com - just look about for online manuals there, they will probably be in .pdf format which is fine.

On the Canons I think you lose the ability to shoot RAW in fully automatic, although what I would recommend is Program Mode (P setting) which lets the camera do all the exposure correcting with shutter and aperture, but you get to control the ISO, WB, JPG and/or RAW, metering mode etc.

Program Mode is basically Fully Automatic, but with access to some other settings.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:15 am 

DD_nVidia wrote:
Usually you can get the manual on the manufacturer's site.

e.g.

www.canon.com - just look about for online manuals there, they will probably be in .pdf format which is fine.

On the Canons I think you lose the ability to shoot RAW in fully automatic, although what I would recommend is Program Mode (P setting) which lets the camera do all the exposure correcting with shutter and aperture, but you get to control the ISO, WB, JPG and/or RAW, metering mode etc.

Program Mode is basically Fully Automatic, but with access to some other settings.

Good recommendation. Program is a great way to lessen your realiance on the automatic modes and start playing with some of the manual setting.