Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:10 pm 
I bought the Canon G7 in June, and my best friend bought the G9 last week.
This website helped me a lot to make this decision.
Before it i used a Canon A75 and I wanted to have more options and greater abilities, but the step to dslr world appeared too big.
The G7/G9 is a really nice compact, and its somewhat unique on the market.
But with time i encountered that there are some issues like already mentioned here: the ISO noise. The other thing i miss is a wide lense, perhaps 27mm equiv.
I wonder if it will be possible to improve this until the G10 for example.
Unlike other compacts you can use the G7/9 in dimmer conditions, it isnt a bright-weather cam :)
The application Noise Ninja removes noise but the picture is so blurred that all in all iso 800 and above is quite useless.
The lack of wide lens and and iso noise together make me to buy a dslr.
But a highend compact like this can be always a good extension or a everywhere-carried camera.

There is a thing that aint clear to me: people whine about f2.8 lens but what about an eos 40d kit lense for example: 17-85mm f4 or 18-55 f3.5 ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hello 1M0H, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Yep, the G9 (and the G7 before it) are great compacts for enthusiasts to carry around with them, especially as a complement to a DSLR.

I agree though, it is really missing a wide angle capability and hope Canon fits one for the G10! (or maybe they will skip another number and call it the G11!)

As for the aperture, you're right, but the thing about the G7 and G9 is the models which came before them had f2.0 lenses, so some people now feel cheated with f2.8 on the new models...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:26 am 
You can get converters for the G7/G9 that will give you different choices, depending on what converters you buy. You can get wide-angle converters, tele-zooms, and macro. But, you must buy not only the lens itself, but also the mount for it that screws in place of the ring around the lens.

There might be other places, brands or websites that deal with such converters, but this is the one that I came across:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/G7.html

In relation to you not having good results with Noise Ninja: have you used the noise profiles from Noise Ninja's website? If you do not use them, the software works in "generic mode", so to speak. But if you use noise profiles from your camera brand and model, you get very decent results, I think, much better - in any case - than using the generic profiles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:37 pm 
I already heard about the lens converters.
The Canon ones are said to be very poor and the others are expensive or big or both. So if somebody wants another zoom range then the built-in one better buy a d-slr.

I did use the according profile from the Noise Ninja website.

I want to show 100% crops to illustrate high ISO noise!
In brighter situations the noise wouldnt be that hard.

First crop shot with ISO 200.

Second crop shot with ISO1600.

Third crop is the ISO1600 shot post-processed with the proper Noise Ninja profile.

Additionally i want to show the total zoom range of the G7!

(Size reduced images)

1. equiv. 35mm

2. 24x zoom (full digital+optical, handheld with image stabilization)

I hope it helps somebody ... :-)