Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:02 pm 

Ok, your EXIF-data confirm it. 1/60 sec at around f4 and ISO 100 at pretty bright daylight is clearly overexposed. And I'm now also leaning towards +2EV.
So that is serious!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:57 pm 
Yes, I am too wandering why his 400D came out with these numbers on such bright and sunny day. Try to shot in P mode or M. Don’t know where, but I’m pretty shore I was read somewhere that are known exposure problems on some 400D when using Av, Tv modes. Can’t tell how things are with mine because I newer use those modes. I am almost all the time on P, or on M when want too do some effect like blurring water or freeze something.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:25 am 

Well, there is one more thing to think about. I've contacted camera suppliers and in their opinion problem with the two shots is my framing the picture. Apparently they can say from looking at the shots that I've somehow locked exposure on darker part of the frame and then re-framed the picture in such a way that it included brighter parts of it and as a result we get overexposed shot. I am positive that I did not use AE lock so how else would I lock AE? I am not sure if they just try to fob me off or if they may be onto something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:45 am 

csnaus wrote:
...I am positive that I did not use AE lock so how else would I lock AE? I am not sure if they just try to fob me off or if they may be onto something.

I suppose it is possible to inadvertently press the AE lock button while you hold the camera as you halfway depress the shutter release but a couple of test shots should easily disprove that one. It sounds more and more like a service job. If the camera suppliers come up with that excuse again ask them what their reasoning is that this is an operator fault rather than a camera fault.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:46 pm 

I would certainly remember a situation where I half press the shutter and then did more than just minor framing-corrections. At least the subject that you focus upon should still be in the picture.
So that sounds like a lame excuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:04 pm 

I am now talking to my local authorised Canon camera repairer, hoping that he can quickly assess if there is a need for a repair or not. Will keep you posted. In the meantime, thanks to everybody who took their time to look at the pictures and respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:13 am 

Well, I think I owe you a closure on this saga. After countless test shots and a visit to a friendly repairer I am glad to announce that there is no problem with the camera. It appears that the problem is entirely with the person behind the viewfinder.
Firstly, I was told to test all the auto focusing points as there was suspicion that one or a few of them are at fault. Apparently these are the most common culprits when it comes to overexposure. After doing the tests (just 10 shots with all and then each individual AF point selected of an evenly lit subject) it appeared that the leftmost (in horizontal position) AF point had some slight tendency to overexpose but not to the degree shown in my test shots published here and on flickr. I was given an option to either send the camera for further tests to Canon Australia, which I was told, is a very long process and also will be at my own cost should they find that there is nothing wrong with the camera, or try to use it a bit more to see if the problem persists. So far I must say that no photo came overexposed. It looks like it was me ( :oops: ) who caused the problem. How, to this day I do not understand, but I must take full responsibility for being clumsy and for making overexposed shots. In a way I am glad that's me, because that, I can fix. If it was the camera it would be out of my hands and I would feel rather helpless.
Anyway, I just thought I am going to tell you what happened and thank you again for looking at my pix and helping to resolve the problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:04 am 

Thanks for sharing the outcome. If you ever do discover how this happened I think we would all be interested to know. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.