Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Overexposure
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:53 am 

Greetings!
I've had a pleasure of taking quite a few photos with my new 400D and I must admit that feelings are... well, mixed. Firstly I've read that 400D tends to underexpose but in my experience it is actually doing the opposite. I've been shooting in Av mode, standard style, AWB, matrix metering and it appears that all pictures are overexposed by more than 1 stop. I've upgraded the firmware to version 1.1.1, would that be the culprit? Has anyone encountered similar problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:00 am 
Site Admin

Hmmm, maybe it's been coincidence with the subjects you've been shooting? Or maybe you've got the 400D which doesn't underexpose by default!

Like all cameras though it's a case of getting used to it and the way it handles the subjects you prefer to take... after a while you'll know you'll probably need to give a little compensation one way or the other for certain situations...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:17 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Hmmm, maybe it's been coincidence with the subjects you've been shooting? ...

Now that you have mentioned it, it looks that landscapes tend to be overexposed. Looking at portraits (I took them using the same settings) they seem to be more or less okay. Next time I'll set everything to auto portrait or auto landscape mode and see how it handles exposure. I must admit I never tried any of the auto modes. I'll let you know how I went.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:21 am 

csnaus wrote:
...I must admit I never tried any of the auto modes...

P (Program) mode is a good compromise. The camera does it's own aperture and exposure thing, the flash never pops up unexpectedly and you still retain control of all the other settings used in Av or Tv modes and can save your pictures as RAW files for best quality.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:54 am 

Bob Andersson wrote:
csnaus wrote:
...I must admit I never tried any of the auto modes...

P (Program) mode is a good compromise. The camera does it's own aperture and exposure thing, the flash never pops up unexpectedly and you still retain control of all the other settings used in Av or Tv modes and can save your pictures as RAW files for best quality.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Looks like you may be right but I haven't tried P mode yet. I took a few test shots this weekend and it looks like a lot depends on mode. In Av and Tv results are pretty much the same. However, as Gordon pointed out, it also depends on the subject. I noticed that sky almost invariably comes out completely washed out even if the light is not too harsh. Landscape mode gives acceptable results so obviously there is something happening during picture processing that "corrects" flaws visible in raw format. Well, my conclusion is that I got myself overpriced point-and-shoot with the added benefit of exchangable lenses :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:03 am 
Some under/over exposure discussion: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=22678297

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:04 am 

Yesterday, I've done some more test shots and it looks like Av AND Tv modes overexpose, however under P it seems to be acceptable. More, just as suggested earlier, subject does matter. It looks like under AV and Tv the camera cannot handle dynamic range that otherwise (under P) it handles without trouble. I was just wondering should I send the camera for checkup and possible adjustment? I guess I can always compensate in Av and Tv so perhaps it's not worth it? From past experience these repairs will fix one thing but can break another so I am a bit hesitant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:33 am 

Csnaus, could you post some pictures that you deem over-/underexposed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:34 am 

tombomba2 wrote:
Csnaus, could you post some pictures that you deem over-/underexposed?

Hi Thomas!

This is particularly bad one

and there is another one, but this is pretty hard subject so I am not too disappointed with the job my camera had done:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:00 am 

Hi csnaus,

I apologise straight away if you have already done this but check your camera's metering mode (page 73 of the manual - Evaluative is the default) and the Exposure Compensation setting (page 74 of the manual). If these settings have got changed then that might save an expensive camera service.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:39 pm 

Yep csnaus, I'd agree that these pics are overexposed at around +1EV.
What do other forum users think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:44 pm 
Agree with you tombomba2. Maybe first one even +2EV, but I am not shore. Can U csnaus give us exif info for this photos?

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:25 pm 
It seems both are overexposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:48 pm 

Drazen Gal wrote:
Agree with you tombomba2. Maybe first one even +2EV, but I am not shore. Can U csnaus give us exif info for this photos?

Cheers!

No problems:
for the first one:
1/60, f3.5, ISO 100
and the second one:
1/60, f5.0, ISO 100

Both on Av with the same lens Canon 28mm f1.8, pattern (is this the name? I keep forgetting) metering, manual AF selection on centre point.
I've put two more photos here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:57 pm 

Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi csnaus,

I apologise straight away if you have already done this but check your camera's metering mode (page 73 of the manual - Evaluative is the default) and the Exposure Compensation setting (page 74 of the manual). If these settings have got changed then that might save an expensive camera service.

Bob.

Hi Bob!
Thanks for this reminder. I have checked it all and it is set to evaluative (I have to remember this!) and there is no compensation set.