Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 400d noob
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:34 am 
hey i'm new to this forum and i just got my new slr. I've borrowed lots of books on the library and there's this book that touches on candid photography and i followed the iso of 100 f/7.1 and shutter speed of 1/320 second IN MANUAL MODE. The photo turns out to be very dark (under expose) can somone here help me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:47 am 

Well, to fix this, simply open up the aperture wider, or make your sutter speed longer, or increase your ISO, or a mixture of the 3!

Longer Shutter Time = Brighter Exposure (image) - There is more time for light to hit the sensor
Larger Aperture = Brighter Exposure (Smaller Depth of Field) - Larger Iris opening for light to come and hit the sensor.
Higher ISO - Brighter Image, but also some Noise (like grain on film) - ISO is basically Digital light amplification, like going from 200ASA film to 800ASA film, lower ASA (in this case ISO) has a finer grain, and 800ASA has a more noticeable grain, now in digital photogrphy you want as little noise as possible on your image, so usually staying below 400 is a good idea, only going above that when you need to.

No time to give a detailed explanation - train to catch sorry!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:04 am 
thanks, any possible combination you'll suggest for a outdoor (bright day light), cloudy day and indoor scene?

What modes other than manual do you guys think I should use. there are the time value, programme(shutter speed and aperture is atomatically set), aperture value and last but not least the manual mode. But I realise if I use the time value mode I cannot set the aperture myself except for exposure compensation. And vice-versa if I use switched it to the aperture value more I cannot change the shutter speed.

sorry i'm really a slr noob, will like to know more. thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:46 am 
it depends on what you want to achieve.

the manual that came with your slr should have come with suggestions cum explanations as to what MODE you need to use for achieving what you intend to.

example:

for outdoor portariture, you want the face of your subject to be sharp and blur the background, so you use Aperture priority (Av). You will set the Aperture and the camera will automatically set the shutter speed to get proper exposure.

if you want to take a photo of a fountain for example and you want to capture the movement of water then you need to use a slow shutter speed or if you want to freeze the water movement, you will use a fsat shutter speed. You then use Time value mode (Tv). You set the shutter speed and the camera with set the correct upperture so you will get correct exposure.

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:21 pm 
ok thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Patrick, further to what the guys have said, I'd suggest using Aperture (Av) and Shutter priority (Tv) modes before full manual. This way you can select the aperture and shutter you want, and the camera works out what the other needs to be set at for a 'correct' exposure.

If you want a 'correct' exposure in manual mode though, just keep an eye on the exposure compensation scale. If it's too far or flashing in the negative direction, then there's not enough light for the exposure you had in mind - so you'd need to either open the aperture, reduce the shutetr speed or increase the ISO.

Conversely if it's too far in the positive direction, you have too much light, so need to close the aperture, increase the shutter or reduce the ISO.

The figures given in manuals and books are just guidelines - they don't know how bright it is where you are. So you should start with what your camera suggests under most conditions, then fine tune for the effect you're after...

Gordon