Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dusty lenses
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:00 pm 
I just recieved my Brand spanking new Tamron 90 Di.
First thing I did was shining a torch and checked for internal dusts.
Im NOT surprised to see a few specs...

Am I just being unlucky with lenses or is this normal?

My 17-85 (sold) had internal dusts (this was actually a second copy as I returned the first one which also had dust)

My 70-200L non IS (sold) also had a few.

EF 50 1.8 II was the worst with countless number of dusts (I also had 2 copies which I returned, 1 bought from cameras2u (a branch of Jessops), and 1 bought from eBay).

My brand new 24-105 L also has 3 specs.

What does everybody has to say about lens dusts??? :x :x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:10 pm 

Mine had a little, just blow it off, works fine for me.

I also just use a microfiber cloth and some lens cleaning fluid to clean the front of the lens and the UV filter...not sure if i should use it to clean the filter though, but can't see it doing much harm.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:23 pm 
hi DD

I meant Internal dust, not the ones on the front elements... :oops:

for cleaning filters and front elements, I use eclipse2 fluid and microfibre cloth. Works great especially on Hoya Pro 1D filters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:56 pm 
eL wrote:
I meant Internal dust, not the ones on the front elements...

I think that's impossible to get, unless it was the manufacturing error, front and back might be spots, I'd take as it could also be the camera, check your sensor, veiwfinder prisim, and other spots before I'd jump to conclusions and sending it back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:59 pm 

no it must be possible.

If i take of my lenses and zoom them, it leaves a big gap (obviously lol) between the read element of the lens and the rear of the lens body - so dust could get in there, not sure if it could effect it.

If you mean physically inside, er.. not sure!

I ment dust on the front and rear elements :roll: lol

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:23 pm 
fearless leader wrote:
eL wrote:
I meant Internal dust, not the ones on the front elements...

I think that's impossible to get, unless it was the manufacturing error, front and back might be spots, I'd take as it could also be the camera, check your sensor, veiwfinder prisim, and other spots before I'd jump to conclusions and sending it back

It is very possible! If you look at the number of lenses I have handled on my original post.

When I mean its inside the lens, it is inside the lens.

Could you please check yours and post back what your finding will be.

This is how to do it:

1.Remove lens from camera, put the back cover of the lens, remove front cover, zoom to maximmum, in a bright room, shine a torch/flashlight on the front element, try to look at all angles by turning your lens 360 degrees. Be aware that you might see reflections, try to avoid that by changiong angles of view. First focus your eyes behind front element (here you can see if there is dust just behind the from element). Second focus yous eyes on the inner element ( the lens that moves when you zoom in or out).

2. Now second test is to remove both covers and zoom to maximum. Now point the lens to a bright light focusing your eyes inside the lens and not the front or back element. Rotate the lens avoiding reflections. Im sure you will be surprizsed of what you will see.

I think we should ask Gordon to make a video and post it in youtube because anything he says, everyone believes including me :wink: :wink: :wink:
:wink: