Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Camera Not Recognized
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:20 pm 
Hi,
I am trying to connect my Canon 400d to my new Vista laptop. I have installed all the software that came with the camera with no problems. I then got the camera connected to the laptop and got 'Camera not recognized'.

I want to get editing the images I have already taken and have no idea why this isn't working.

Can anyone here offer help?

Yours hopefully

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:54 pm 
If your laptop has a card reader built in, or if you have one that you can plug to it, just use that to download the photos to your computer.

That will get you started with editing the photos, even if Windows Vista can't recognise the camera.

Word on the street is that Windows Vista lacks drivers for many devices. That may be the case with the Canon 400D. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:08 pm 

I'll try it on the vista system downstairs tomorrow (mums on it atm) but you really should get a card reader anyway, else I don't think when using the RAW+Fine JPG you can read the RAW files, at least its like that on the 350D.

USB CF card reader is your best bet.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:28 pm 
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit on my laptop and my 400D connects ok directly.... but as Daniel says get yourself a card reader to download photos to your PC/Laptop it is much easier and quicker, you can pick a decent card reader in the UK for about £20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:36 pm 

and whatever you do, do not go to a big electronic retail chain, ANY OF THEM! They are all scammers I say! I would say that since my family owns a computer shop, but seriously, the people in there know nothing, they will probably sell you a SD/XD reader instead of a CF!

Local small computer shops are better and can usually get anything in that you need, especially the much higher end computer components! (SLI, Quad Core, Xeons, £200 motherboards, DDR3 etc :P)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:50 am 
The strange thing is that I think the computer recognises that I have a 400D but then ZoomBrowser EX doesn't come with the pop-up saying that do I want to download all images or select them. These icons are greyed out when the camera is connected. I will try with my work laptop which has XP to see what happens.

I will also look into a card reader - the laptop has one but not for CF only for SD.

Thanks for the feedback, more when I continue to test.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:59 am 
OK I tested it again on the VIsta laptop and the PC recognises that I have connected the camera but when I select the canon program to import the images it says camera not recognised.

So I tried to import using the vista tool and the images were imported just fine so I have no idea why the canon programs won't work becasue after the images were imported zoom browser saw the images just fine!

ANyway am purchasing Adobe Elements so I will be using that from now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:58 pm 
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... p?t=228171

looks like this is a known issue. I shall be downloading the patch today.