Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:17 pm 

Dear Gordon,

I am thinking of loosing my kit-lens. However, I am now at loss to buy a new lens.

The most important feature that I want is in the IS feature and some semi-telephoto zoom.

I have look at following:

1 - 17-85 USM IS : The cons is that it's an EF-S, and the F Number starts off from 4. So this lens is crossed off my list.

2 - 24-105 USM IS: Ok, too expensive .. next !!

3 - 28-135 USM IS: Hmm, Interesting range (thought a bit not that wide).. But Ok, maybe I can live with this..

4 - SIGMA's New 18-200 OS: Very intersting to me.

---

Now, I am in between choosing #3 and #4. The price is almost the same. However, for me, the deciding factor is the quality of the lens. AND, I am still waiting for camera labs to do a review about the new Sigma 18-200 with Optical Stabilizer. It will be interesting to see if CameraLabs would also compare those lenses with the 28-135mm IS USM. I've always wondered by CL has not yet made any comparison.

WHEN will you guys make such review ? I am dying to buy a lens, and I do not know what to get...

Camera Labs has sorta become my bible in choosing photography equipment and I am missing precious moments with my camera..

Help me Camera-Labs (or fellow users), you are my online hope.

Best,

Ahmed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ahmed, thanks for considering us your bible for equipment reviews!

We'd also like to test the Sigma 18-200mm OS, but we haven't been able to get hold of one yet. And as you know, we've also not yet tested the 28-135mm IS USM, so I'm afraid I can't comment on the performance of either lens.

Both are lenses I'd consider reviewing in the future though, but I can't put a date on them I'm afraid.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:32 pm 

Before I bought my 24-105, I also considered 28-135 which has the first generation IS (they say it only offers 2 stops of image stabilisation). Both 17-85 and 24-105 have 2nd generation IS (3 stops).

I used to own the Sigma 18-200 (non OS) and it almost always gave me yellowish picture colour (sent back to Mr. Jessop). I guess the new version has the same optics, just with added OS

I also owned 17-85 which was not sharp on the wide end, and it also sucked dust like a Dyson... mR eBay sold it for me! :lol:

I also read that the 28-135 never rivals the IQ of 24-105 and it also sucked dust like Mr Hoover!

My suggestion is get the 24-105 and be happy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:41 am 

I agree with eL. Get the 24-105mm F4L IS USM lens. Yes, expensive, but worth it. It's aperture is a constant f4 and, although not as bright as a 2.8, its in-built stabilisation makes up for it to some extent. And the results are really, really nice, almost 3-D pictures. I owned one for a very short time, and during that time, I got to really appreciate its image quality and also its built quality (a world apart from EFS lenses).

In short, get the best lens you can. Personally - and I'm not an expert - I think that the lens trumps the camera, priority-wise, especially since the 10MP consumer SLRs (Canon 400d/40D, Nikon D40X/D80, Olympus E510, Pentax K10D, but not the Sony Alpha 100 due to higher ISO noise) are so similar in their IQ. In other words, if something is going to make a real difference on the technical side of your picture-taking, I think it's the lens. I would like to hear what those who actually know what they are talking about, think of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:28 pm 

No offense guys.

I am literally drooling over the 24-105 Lens. However, I just can not spend 2x my budget over this lens. I mean, if it was 20% more expensive, then ya, ok, I would opt for the better, even if it was 35% more expensive..

Sorry..

The sigma is a winner (though I may hate it). I will go test it out next week (when they have it in stock)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:21 pm 

Well, Gordon,
I finally got my hand on my first upgrade from the kit lens which is the sigma 18-200 with Image Stabilizer.

The build quality, of course, a lot better than my Canon kit lens 18-55mm. it really feels solid. It has two rings, the inside which works the zoom, the outside which works the focus.

From the build of the rings. the zoom ring some how gets a bit tough to scroll through once it touches the 50-60mm. Otherwise, it slides better from there.
Is this by design? or is this a flaw in the current lens ? or is it in all sigma's 18-200mm OS ? I really don't know, what do u think..

Also, it has a locking mechanism so that it when it is pointed down the lens does not extend out. This locking mechanism seems to only slide to "lock" mode when it is zoomed out to 18mm.

I did notice a bit of distortion at the 18thmm (when zoomed all the way out). However, I do believe that this is not a "biggie" because in the 18-200 review of Sigma, you did notice as well a bit of a distortion. Overall, the reason that I am noticing a big distortion in comparison to my older kit lens is because my older kit lens (18-55mm) has a smaller zoom range.

The Cool thing is that sigma does include a lens hood in this sigma model. I know .. I know .. you have been many times scolding canon for not including ones except for the L series ..

I am going to take it for a test drive this weekend, where I will drive it nuts (the lens that is), and I will post back some results. Anything you like to see Gordon ? I live in Vienna .. ! I'm sure that there is something you want to see !! let me know .. Maybe I can take a picture of it for you..

I will post back picture later on next week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:40 am 
Site Admin

Hi and congrats on your purchase!

I think I'd really like to see some examples with and without stabilisation. So if you have time, try taking two photos zoomed-into 200mm, one with and one without stabilisation in close succession. Try this in Shutter Priority mode at various shutter speeds, say, 1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30 and 1/15.

Then zoom into them on your computer at 100% and tell us which ones are 100% sharp with and without stabilisation!