Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:44 am 
Yes Leica are not offering a great deal at the moment on the digicam front, especially if you remember how good some of their film cameras were - anyone remember the Mini II 35mm compact?
But they are contributing on the lens front, both to Panasonic and as a third party to the Olympus four thirds system.
I guess the Seiko Epson R-D1 digital range finder is the type of camera Leica should be trying to make. It would probably end up being just as expensive though.
But who can blame Panasonic for pixel stuffing, as the Fuji F31fd's low noise approach obviously couldn't make it in the market.
Panasonic should try four meg Foveon sensors and market them as 14 million pixel cameras!
But Nikon are now trying to compete with the G9
with the Nikon Coolpix P5100. Is not a worthy G9 competitor?
How about a three way shoot-out - the good, the bad and the ugly (the GX100 wins that prize!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:29 pm 
Ok, I got it, I think.

All this talk about the G9, about getting a smaller DSLR with really hi-quality, no-frills features reminded me of something I came across on the net. Gordon, you know how you were saying that Canon, for instance, have got something solid going on with their DSLR range, and thus, why would they want to "rock the boat"?... Agreed. The accountants won. But not always, even in Japan.

Here's what I am getting at: Voigtlander cameras. Now, I know they are 35mm film cameras, built like in 1945. But, heck, for some reason, I really like them. They are made by Cosina in Japan, if I'm not mistaken, and they reek of "accountants loosing, and enthusiasts winning", if you know what I mean. I think this is what we we are wishing the G9 would be like - what we are taking about when we are speculating about what the G9 ought to be.

Now, check out the links below, and tell me if what we have talked about, kinda "hinted" at without really knowing what the issue was, was not about wishing for the following - I know that this is what I really, really would want the G9 to be like:
- A Voigtlander camera (see first two links), with the choice of related lenses (see third link), AND with a 3" screen at the back, in other words, a digital version. Make that 12MP, no other features than what they already have. Just add Digital to the mix. Old-fashion cool, me say, with hi-quality lenses. Enough talk, check it out:

Voigtlander cameras:
http://www.mainlinephoto.com.au/prod223.htm
http://www.mainlinephoto.com.au/prod655.htm

Lenses:
http://www.mainlinephoto.com.au/category12_1.htm

Now, tell me if the G9 does not hint at that kind of Voigtlander "look"?...I think it does. So there are cases where enthusiasm wins over bean-counting. Damn, it's so close, yet so far!...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:34 pm 

you are right of course, G9 is a range finder style camera. it's a modern range finder, with excellent lens and heavy metal built. I just want it to shoot faster... but I'll take it as is.

Nikon P5100, although haven't personally tried it, has been getting very disappointing reviews and consumer comments. G9 at this time has no competition...

this is my 1950's Leica IIIf. Also a range finder camera. The photo is from Wikipedia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the photos SHIVA!

Ant1, I agree, I loved Voigtlanders, especially with the wide angle lenses...

Post subject: G9 comments
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:54 am 

Hi - I needed a small pocketsize camera with RAW and recently bought the G9. I also have a 400D with 17-85 lens and was pleased to find that the quality of G9 pics is not far below those from the 400D. I can't see any difference in dynamic range (I tested by putting the highest pixels just below the limit and looking at the shadows in a high-contrast scene). Noise at ISO 80 (where I will shoot nearly all my pics) is only marginally worse than the 400D at ISO 100 (and a lot better than the noisy Panasonic LX1 that I had until recently). The hot shoe on the G9 is welcome, but the inbuilt flash is good enough for pics up to about 2 metres. An external flash gives much more range if needed (so I am puzzled as to why the pro guy at the gondola, mentioned by Gordon, has trouble). I don't need f2 - it is only 1 stop faster than f2.8, offers less depth of field and would make the camera more bulky. I agree that widescreen would be good and also 28 mm equivalent would have been nice. The macro function is fairly useless for me - no manual controls. A DSLR is needed for any serious macro work.