Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dust....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:02 pm 
Hi guys.
The time is come…first marks of dust came visible on my 400D. Sensor dust is something what I count on and know that there is no way to avoid it. So far isn’t so bad. Sensors dust marks came visible over f/18 and 100% crop. I’m pleased with that…for now.
Another place where I have notice dust is viewfinder. So, as I don’t know much about dealing with dust in viewfinder, I’m asking for help. If anyone have some good web site links where I can learn more on this issue or perhaps can explain me in few lines how to get ride of dust in viewfinder I’ll be very grateful. Maybe U can recommend me some tools for removing dust...
User support for Canon in Croatia is VERY poor so practically I don’t count on it!

Thanks!
Drazen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:06 pm 
The first and safest thing to use to clean sensor is a blower.
Then there's something like sensor brush (I havent used this).
Third option is Wet cleaning with eclipse fluid and sensor wand/sensor pad(there are many versions of fluids but the most popular is Eclipse fluid)
Fourth is the new Dust Aid (a pice of double sided sticker stuck on a handle)
Or if youre not that confident to do it on your own, send it to camera repair centre.

Dust in viewfinder will not show up on your images so dont worry about it (though it is irritating, I have some on mine but I only see them when I want to :)

I bought my sensor wand and eclipse fluid here:
http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/acatalog/index.php

If you google up sensor cleaning, sensor wand/swab, you will be given loads of info about them. A lot of videos are also in youtube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:28 pm 
Excellent!!! U help me a lot!!! I’ll have too dig deeper in exploration of dust stuff and defiantly buy my self some of cleaning tools!

Thanks!
Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, here's an article we wrote about cleaning dust with a blower...

http://www.cameralabs.com/workshops/dsl ... age3.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:18 pm 
Hi Gordon!
Thanks for the link. It is helpful.
Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:58 pm 
It will also be easier to use a tripod, tilted down and I find a big blower like Giottos rocket a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:26 am 
Hi.
My experience about blowing into the camerahouse is that you almost always have to clean the sensor after the blowingoperation. Its because you blow the dust further in and it stick to the sensor.

There is also some nice vacumcleaners on the market to remove the dust.
Or you can make your own. Connect a small rubberhose on you home vacumcleaner and use it VERY gently.

For me its anything, but blowing.

Thats way I only shoot at nighttime with aperture < f2.0 :) the dust has to be quite big to show up at those photos :)

KS
Norway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:50 pm 
Ive also used vaccum cleanenrs in the past but I found that it introduces more dust(probably due to backflow of dusty air when I switch the vaccum off). Moral of the story is remove the tubing away from your camera before switching the vacuum off (though Ive never done a test to prove it, this is my theory).

My own technique is I mount the camera on my tripod tilted down, blow off dust from the mirror first, then open up blow the sensor. I have a Giottos rocket blower. I hold the plastic bit with my thumb and forefinger and go as deep as I can with my remaining fingers holding the camera mount for support. I then use my right hand to squeeze (i always use my right hand for squeezing things!) a few times until Im satisfied!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:08 pm 

I have dust in my viewfinder, no idea how to get it out! Its not on the sensor or lens (clean them every couple of days with a blower if they get dust or w/e) so i know its the viewfinder or pentaprism.

How do you get it out?

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Is the dust in sharp focus when you look through the viewfinder, but NOT on photos?

If so, then it will probably be on the focusing screen. This is parallel to the bottom of your camera, so remove the lens and point your blower upwards into the camera and give it a couple of skooshes! Don't open the mirror or shutter.