Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Off Camera Flash...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:08 pm 

Yeah so I'm thinking of getting the Canon Speedlite 430EX but aswell as using it on the top of the camera, I would like to know what the exact cable (hotshoe cable) I am supposed to buy to do this.

My cousin is probably going to want me to take some photos of her 1 year old son, so I though I might as well get a flash now anyway, but I was going to use reflectors and have the flash of camera and aim it at the reflectors to diffuse the light A) so its softer light B) its not a massive flashbulb going pop in front of his little eyes!

Anywho, suggestions on a cable from jessops preferably would be much appreciated :)

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Well Canon will do a flash extension cable, and I'm sure Jessops has a cheaper version which works just as well, although I don't know the model number off the top of my head... If you buy a third party one though, just make sure it has the same number of pins as the Canon original!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:41 pm 

Hi DD_nVidia,

You have a couple choices to accomplish your goal. You could use variant of the Canon Off-Camera Shoe Cord (or other third party alternative that's less expensive) or 2 you could go with the ST-E2 transmitter. The ST-E2 will allow you a lot more freedom of movement and the ability to control more than one flash. I personally like the freedom of being untethered from the flash.

Of course you could go with something like the Gary Fong Lightsphere to soften the lighting. I haven't used that particular model but I've read many positive reviews about it. Bouncing the flash can do wonders for lighting a room and decreasing the shadows caused by the flash. This might be the least expensive and easiest route to go.

-steve