Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:26 am 

i played with it some more tonight, it think this is just an inherent limitation on this camera, I don't think mine is defective...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:55 pm 

Honeymoon's over, camera was returned today. I am going to wait a good month to two months before re-ordering it. The early versions are displaying some issues, specially with the LCD leaking light, minor, but shouldn't be there, no focus in low light and what I think is overall slowness of the focusing speed.

Granted the focus speed can't be fixed.

Also I paid full retail, which is so silly, as the camera is already being sold for about $80 less than what I paid for, 1 week or so ago.

Meanwhile today, I played with the H9 again, just to test out the focusing speed. This camera is so fast, it's impressive. Too bad the image quality is simply not great. Also having owned the G9, I can tell you that the 3" screen on the G9 is superior to the 3" screen on the H9... S

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:16 am 
Site Admin

Hi SHIVA, sorry to hear that as you sounded so happy at first. Yeah, there's a few issues with the G9, but it fits a specific role and if that works for you, it's pretty neat. Any idea what you'll go for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:31 am 

I might still get the same camera, but I want to wait about a month or so, and get a later production model. it's not a good idea to buy the fist cams off the assembly line... Also paying full retail is just silly, the price drops so fast on these units. The G9 will probably drop to 399 in about 2-3 weeks or so.

I looked on the list of cameras there is nothing better out there. There is not a single good choice right now besides the G9. The next gen Pana LX-3 should be interesting. But I need a cam like the G9 this fall, so it's just a matter of time.

Camera companies should take note of the popularity of the G9 and start creating good challengers. Compact cams, with great image quality that do it all. But it won't work if the cams aren't pocketable. So, that has to be part of the design principal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi SHIVA, not sure if you've seen this post from a new member who describes his journey which ends with buying a G9 - interesting stuff...

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1518

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:39 am 

I did... it's interesting, in every review they offer the same advice which would have saved this guy a lot of time and money. in almost every single review, they say who should need a DSLR and who should need a point and shoot. but I guess some people like to find out the answers for themselves... :) S

PS: I read he is keeping the 40D, now that's a smart guy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm 

about two weeks after I bought my G9, it's being sold on Amazon for exactly US$100 cheaper... glad I returned it. I think it'll hit $399 soon. :) S