Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:25 am 

As Gordon likes to say, "well here it is" the Canon G9:

Something seems to be wrong, that's the bulletproof, radiation resistant, anti-chemical warfare Pelican 1040 case that I got for my G9....

;)

;)

;)

ahh, here it is, finally the G9, in its highly secured, doomsday bunker...

Last edited by SHIVA on Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:32 am 

Do you think I am being overly protective of my G9?

Well, I think not. As long as all systems are go, this little wonder cam is a keeper and I rather keep it dust, moisture free for a while. Also the impression you see on the lid's foam is rather permanent and will not affect the workings of the camera. Meaning the foam is permanently pushed it, so it won't hurt the camera. Actually sort of locks the camera in position if it falls out of a truck or even if the said truck runs over it. The truth is, I ride motorcycles and tend to take pics of bikes as well, and I needed a waterproof, dust and shockproof case for the G9...

:) S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:01 am 
Site Admin

That's a pretty serious-looking case SHIVA!

But do also tell all about the G9! How is it compared to the G7?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:38 am 

Hi, I only shot with it for one day and haven't had a chance to actually use the camera enough to comment properly. But to me it's superior to the G7 in many ways.

The screen is simply phenomenal. The focusing speed is perfectly sufficient for a 12MP P&S. The slight grip redesign works well. Colors are just gorgeous, although I only shot a few images and end up deleting them because I got bored with the compositions, they were testers, not real shots.

The video is also just terrific. The G9 has a 24X combined digital zoom. Can you imagine that? It also has a built-in tele mode, at 2 settings. Meaning you can set it on tele at 2X, as if you had attached a 2X lens converter.

It has an overwhelming amount of options, with many buttons and dials to make any gadget freak and photography nut entertained for a long while.

It's very compact. It's not a Sony T series, but it's 1/2 to 1/3 the width of the H9, so it's easily pocketable (jacket and also some shirts).

It's a winner! IMO it's simply the best digicam out there bar none.

Last edited by SHIVA on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:11 am 
Site Admin

Hi SHIVA, for anyone glancing at the specs, it appears the G9 is essentially a G7 with two extra megapixels, a slightly bigger 3in screen and RAW recording facilities. Would you say that's fair, or is there more besides for people to look forward to...

Have you been doing much in RAW with it by the way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:25 pm 

I think that's not fair. I would say the VF is also superior. The G7 VF was imo not usable, they improved it on the G9.

Look, Canon or Sony may not like to hear this, but I don't believe people should upgrade their photo gear every 6 months. G7 is a fine camera, but the G9 is a near-perfect camera. The difference between 2.5 and 3" is very noticeable. Actually 4" would be even better. This is one place where size does matter. The grip is better. Early reviews are suggesting that the image quality is better and the noise is actually lower. Also now you can shoot at 4000X3000, at 180DPI in Superfine JPG. I can do fine magazine covers with the JPG alone. The 1Ds, shot at 11MP, the 5D also shoots at 12MP. And at 100 ISO, which is what I shoot, the image quality on G9 is just beautiful.

Keep all of that in mind and add to it the very slim profile of the camera. Now that's just icing on the cake.

Even the LX2 is thicker than the G9.

Readers don't realize how small the G9 really is, and how solid it feels in the hand. I disliked the Leica D-Lux 3 (Panny LX-2), because it felt like a toy and made me feel like I was taking snap shots. With the G9 or G7 for that matter, you feel like you're taking photographs. That may not matter to the average cat shooter, but to a photographer who likes to shoot with good gear it does.

I really wanted to like the Sony H9 and almost got one, I'm glad you suggested I should wait. I liked the H9, because it's the fastest focusing digicam out there and had a nice 3" screen. But that's not a serious camera, I hate to say, as the JPG compression setting is not adjustable and the image quality is questionable. G9 may not shoot as fast as the H9, but it's got all the other angles covered at half the width.

So, imo, the G9 is the benchmark for the digicam market, specially for the serious shooter. There is no better P & S on the market today.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:53 am 
Site Admin

Cheers SHIVA - I wanted to hear your opinion as you've owned both models - I was being deliberately provocative in my questioning as I believe that's what most epople will be asking about the G9 - it does at first glance appear very similar to its predecessor.

Have they really modified the grip and viewfinder?

I do agree it represents a unique proposition though as a relatively pocketable, but sophisticated camera... I just wish it had a 28mm wide angle and a flip out screen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:18 am 

the wide part of the zoom seems very wide indeed. Canon claims 35, it probably is, but seems very wide to me. I am not a fan of twist and flip screens, they are annoying. I know they come in handy, and some like them, but they often add bulk. the screen on the G9 seems to be wide viewing and it's very very nice. The fully articulated screens also work good as a screen protector, when you turn the screen to the inside, but I don't miss it.

I took a closer look at the grip, I don't think Canon changed the front plate, what they did was they moved the small rubber grip closer to the edge of the camera by a few mm. Making it feel like it has a better grip on the front, the back is certainly changed, since they had to change it for the screen size anyway and it now sports a nice thumb rest. But the beauty of this camera is its small size, the grip doesn't extend beyond the lens, why change this? Also, the lens fully retracts into the camera and lacks the annoying lens cap.

I don't have the G7 to compare, but the G9's VF seems to be workable now. So, it has been changed.

As we discussed, I think the Canon A650, is basically the G9, stripped down of some features but with a 2.5 flip and AA batteries. It has the same sensor and the same lens, so it should have similar image quality. it's cheaper and has a deeper grip. I think those who may have issues with G9's small size, should look into the new A650.

cheers, S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:33 pm 

100% crop:

100% crop:

All the above shots were taken today at a local street fair. My focus today was on G9's handling of complex mix of bright colors. Shot in "P" at 5MP, with no flash, ISO at Auto (80-200), very little post-processing in Photoshop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:39 am 

This is an example of G9's awesome 24X digital superzoom. I only reduced this image in size in Photoshop, nothing more. That's the roof of a tall building in my neighborhood. I think it's about 14 stories tall... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:34 am 

I just ran several very low light IS tests, switching between two IS settings, Continuous and Shoot Only, in almost every try the continuous proved better results.

Also with the continuous setting, you can see the effect on the lcd screen as you try to focus. Granted it uses more power, but I think it's worth it.

Although in G9 manual, Canon seems to suggest that Shoot Only is a better option.

Does anyone know if leaving the Continuous on at all times, even in day light, will have any negative affect on focusing speed or focusing in general? Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:26 am 
Site Admin

Hi SHIVA, I think it's a case of trying it and seeing what happens. As you said, the manual already contradicts your own findings on stabilisation, so it may also have an unexpected result on focusing speed.

Speaking of which, do you find FlexiZone quicker than AiAF, and have you used the improved face detection much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:59 pm 

I haven't tried the face detection, it's not for me. I am really trying to make this camera focus as quickly as it can, so the Flexizone is the method of choice. We are basically talking about saving miliseconds at a time. Anything that detracts from that and makes the camera focus slower (auto focus assist light for example) is not activated. AIAF maybe a cool feature and I used it on the 30D, but can't have wasting camera's time trying to figure out which box to grab. I know you understand, that's why you are bringing up this question.

So, check this out: My camera is only a week old and it has already developed a low-light focusing problem.

I was testing out the continous, vs. shoot only in low light, where it just didn't focus anymore, and was hunting. However the battery was low, so I thought low battery had something to do with it. But with a full battery this morning, it behaved no better.

Has anyone experienced this yet? The camera, with a full battery, refuses to focus in low light at mid zoom. As soon as I pull the lens back, more toward wide angle, then it has an easier time focusing. I even tried the Macro mode to see if that would help with focusing, but it didn't.

It's good that J&R has a 14 day exchange policy. I'll take it in to be swapped.

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Refuses, how? Do you mean it constantly searches back and forth without EVER locking onto something? If so, how low is the light and is there something easier in the frame for it to focus onto? And does it happen in other dim environments, or just one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:34 pm 

Yes, it hunts, but never catches on. I did try to change focus on area with better contrast, but it barely helped. How dark? Shooting at about 1/4" or 1/6" second, maybe even a little faster with zoom at mid level, something in that range.

I called Canon, but they didn't acknowledge that this was a known problem. But I am going to swap it at the store, however, the store doesn't have one in stock. I read on another forum of other G9 user who had the same exact problem and he considered it to be normal Canon behavior... Have you seen this before. I Have heard of it and but I thought it was isolated issue and not present on all their range. S