Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 40D URGENT !!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:31 pm 
I think I have abnormal high noise levels on my 40D. The following picture was taken at iso 125 !!!

Gordon, Bob and any other person that has used the 40d. What do you think of this ? Please respond quickly as I have only 5 days left to return my 40D.

http://users.telenet.be/BMphoto/

Last edited by Bart Michiels on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:11 pm 
hmm I just took some test shots at all the iso settings and it looks much better now. Besides I tested the noise reduction function of lightroom and it's very good, I can reduce the noise quite a bit without losing any detail (or almost nothing).

But nevertheless I uploaded some sample images onto my site : http://users.telenet.be/BMphoto/. You can just download the files, the number indicates the iso. All the photos were taken with high iso noise reduction and long exposure noise reduction ON.

I would strongely appreciate it that the 40D users would take a look at it and tell me what they think !!!

Thanks

Bart

Post subject: 40D Noise
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:14 pm 

Hi Bart,

Have a look at my post here. As described in the post all four pictures (clickable for 100% crops) were taken at ISO 200
with HTP enabled. According to the manual enabling HTP can result in a small increase in noise in the shadows.

The first two shots illustrate apparently high noise in the hedgerow but if you then look lower at the grass
the noise largely disappears. I mentioned in the post that the hedgerow was full of berries and ripe crab
apples but I can't say I like the effect very much.

The third picture taken minutes later shows none of this noise with a more distant background. The last picture,
of the lake, includes some similar tonal values to your picture. See how you think they compare to your own shot.

On the face of it your picture looks a little noisy but I am really puzzled by the slightly curved vertical pattern showing
on the right side of the image. What is this? Did you by any chance take the photograph near a source of radio interference?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: JPEG Compression
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:25 pm 

Hi Bart,

Further to my last, I have just noticed that the sample shot in your post seems to be pretty small with
a file size of only 489 KB rather than the several megabytes I would have expected. Maybe we are seeing
some JPEG compression artefacts. Were you shooting in Large Fine mode? If so can you provide a link (not an
"img" tagged one please) to the original file rather than this highly compressed one? If not I think you
need to repeat the test.

Bob.

P.S. I have just edited my last two posts to introduce some "carriage returns". As you will have noticed,
including such wide pictures in a post using the "img" tag rather than providing a clickable link causes
readability problems as you have to scroll horizontally. I know, I have been guilty of this myself. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:56 pm 
Bob, thanks for the quick response. I'm sure the HTP was NOT on with the rabbit photo, so there must be some other kind of explanation of the high noise levels. As for the electronic interference, none that I know of :P

But would you also take a look at the images on http://users.telenet.be/BMphoto/ to see if they match your iso results ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:07 pm 
Quote:
Further to my last, I have just noticed that the sample shot in your post seems to be pretty small with
a file size of only 489 KB rather than the several megabytes I would have expected. Maybe we are seeing
some JPEG compression artefacts. Were you shooting in Large Fine mode? If so can you provide a link (not an
"img" tagged one please) to the original file rather than this highly compressed one? If not I think you
need to repeat the test.

Bob, I uploaded the jpeg file, converted
from the original RAW file (I was shooting in RAW). The previous jpeg was a lot more compressed because I exported that one from lightroom and then saved it again in Paint
(to make it a lot more smaller). Also in the first jpeg I made a few contrast-saturation adjustments
(reason for high noise ?).
The one I uploaded now is straight out of the camera. I know also know what the weird bent lines were. It's from a fence with very tiny holes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:12 pm 
Euhm I have some problems with uploading that jpeg. But if you would just comment the other iso test pictures and see if they match your results I would be very happy :D

Post subject: Noise
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:44 pm 

Thanks Bart. I had a close look at your 200.jpg image and I don't see anything of concern. As I indicated with my shots including the hedgerow it seems that some background patterns (possibly when out of focus) do seem to induce artefacts in the image which look rather noise like.

For fun I used Canon's DPP to load the original raw file of Kestrel_2.jpg and export it as 16 bit TIF which I then ran through Noise Ninja. Even using the program defaults I can see an improvement in the appearance of the hedgerow after noise reduction. DPP's noise reduction routines didn't work quite so nicely but that is subjective.

Noise Ninja is available as a free trial (but saved images are "watermarked") available here. I am pretty sure I will be buying a copy of this tool but I haven't decided yet whether to buy it on its own or to buy it as part of Bibble.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:01 pm 

Contrast- and sharpness-increases by post-processing your pics will visibly increase noise. So beware!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:43 pm 
Quote:
Contrast- and sharpness-increases by post-processing your pics will visibly increase noise. So beware!

And in camera processing ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:04 pm 

In-camera is the same! Sorry for this omission...