Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:57 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, just a quick note to let you know we've published two new videos about using the Canon EOS 40D: one demonstrates its silent shooting mode and the other shows how useful Live View can be when doing astrophotography. Hope you enjoy them!

Canon 40D silent shooting video

Canon 40D astrophotography with Live View video

Cheers!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:36 am 

I saw both, very interesting and well done as usual. it goes to show, on real hot cameras, such as the 40D, D300 or the G9, you can run extended or segmented videos and it won't be boring... Thanks, ;) S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:05 am 
Site Admin

Cheers SHIVA! Is that a hint for multiple G9 and D300 videos then?! I'll see what I can do when I get them in...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:32 am 

it iz... although G9 is in the house... I picked one up today. I think I am gonna marry it... (translation: it's a long term keeper)... :) S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:39 am 
Site Admin

Hi SHIVA, on behalf of everyone here, I insist you start a new thread in the Canon section and tell us all about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:14 am 
Gordon

The Silent shooting 'sounds' to me like it broke the sound into 2
1st part when you press
2nd part when you release

It may not be practical unless you shoot discreetly and continues to hold it down before release it.

So question is - will this damage the sensor ? Since the 'curtain' is raised or opened ?

DavidL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:09 am 
Site Admin

Hi David, cutting the process in two is exactly what happens, but as I understand it, after taking the shot the camera is effectively returned to normal Live View mode, but just requiring that the shutter is reset at some point. Paranoia would want me to not keep the shutter held for too long, but I don't think there'd be any damage...

Interesting option anyway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:15 am 

I really enjoyed the "Canon EOS 40D Live View and astro-photography" video. Are you going to post any of the shots of the moon & Jupiter from this video to the forum? (Besides the crops)

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:14 am 
Site Admin

Hi Capital, thanks!

What photos did you want to see? There's not much else to see beyond the crops shown in the video and under the video window on that page - but if there's anything specific you want to see, I'll try to oblige!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:33 pm 
These two new videos are very welcome. Showing examples of useful features and how to handle a practical task such as taking a photograph of the moon is the way to go.

Maybe you could do this regularly, by having a main review and then other videos exploring other features. That way, you'd please both audiences: those who just want the review and those who are curious about other things.

Keep it up! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:20 pm 
Really a great way of presenting special features. This 40D keeps surprising, it must be one of the most interesting DSLRs right now.

I'm not sure what the noise was in silent mode, thought it was electric shutter all the way or was it the aperture you could here? Do you now why it's only able to shoot in this mode once? (or did you already write this somewhere else)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks guys!

Luis, we'd certainly consider doing multiple videos for other products where we can't fit it all into 10 minutes - and where there's lots to say!

Rune, the silent mode can only take one shot because it simply delays the noisy shutter recocking until you let go of the button. Still not sure how practical it would be in general use, but the facility is there anyway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:38 am 

Hi Gordon,

I guess I meant the full resolution, showing the photos how you'd deem to present them.

Perhaps the moon shot, no crop, your choice of aspect ratio.
Also the shot of Jupiter, no crop, your choice of aspect ratio.

I'd enjoy seeing them!

Thank you.

Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Capital, thanks!

What photos did you want to see? There's not much else to see beyond the crops shown in the video and under the video window on that page - but if there's anything specific you want to see, I'll try to oblige!