Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lens help needed
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:47 pm 
I have a Canon eos 400d/Reble XTI and I want to know what people think is the best lens to upgrade for all round purposes?

The most common picture that I take would be fishing picture, like above.

I also like to shoot sunsets but not at ultra wide angles mainly like this...

I do take flower pictures aswell but the kit lens works fine for that so isn't needed in my upgrade lens but would be a lovely bonus.

I would like to spend under £400. Anything cheaper would be better :D

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:29 am 
Site Admin

Hi Craftycarper, wow, those are some fish!

You have two choices for lenses - either get a superior model to replace the one you have, or get one that's wider or longer to complement it. Your shots would suggest that a general purpose zoom would do the trick, but it would also help if you tell us how the current model is letting you down. Do you want a wider or longer range? Image stabilisation? Better focusing in low light?

In the meantime, check out this article which compares a variety of popular general-purpose lens upgrades for Canon DSLRs...

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:50 pm 
With the kit lens I find it clumsy for manual focusing and not quite sharp enough, also I find the image is out of focus even on af

I want a lens I can shoot quickly with and still have good quality images... after all when photographing fish time is of the essence.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

I would recommend a general purpose replacement with a USM focusing motor - this will be much faster (and quieter) for AF, and you get much better manual focusing too. The most obvious choice is the Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, but if you work in low light and have a big budget, the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM is an excellent choice.

Both also have image stabilisation for anti-shake and are compared against each other - and the kit lens - in our upgrade article here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:55 pm 
Thanks very much I was considering getting that one but was unsure... now I've made my mind up :D

www.eBay.co.uk has them for nice and cheap aswell

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EF-S-17-85mm-17-85-f-4-5-6-IS-USM-Filter-Hood_W0QQitemZ160145787309QQihZ006QQcategoryZ30070QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

£280 with the hood and a UV filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

That sure is a good price! Beware though it is coming from HK, so you would be potentially subject to import tax and duty, which could add up to 25% to the total. And obviously there's also the issues of buying abroad and returning it if something goes wrong.

Another option is a 50mm prime lens - Canon does three models with different apertures - the f1.2 is fantasy money though, so forget that for now! The f1.8 is very affordable, but the f1.4 is a bit brighter still and crucially has much quicker USM focusing.

So if you find most of your photos are taken with the kit lens zoomed-in, but you want much better performance in low light, then I'd also consider the 50mm f1.4.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:30 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:
...The f1.8 is very affordable, but the f1.4 is a bit brighter still and crucially has much quicker USM focusing...

I have the 50mm f/1.8 II and while optically it is excellent value for money (check out this post for a sample shot) the non-USM autofocus motor is noisy and slow. Luckily, as you can see, I don't use the AF motor once the shot is set up.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.