Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC

Which lens would you recomend?
EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (ring) 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Other (please comment) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:37 am 
Hi tcs,
I just bought the 70-300 IS USM last week and I'm really pleased with it.

The IS works a treat. But just remember that kids don't stay in one place for long, so you may still get a bit of motion blur when in low light conditions.

Oh, and one other thing is the IS needs to runs for half a second before each shot and an extra two seconds after each shot. so don't keep your finger on the shutter release button when scanning for a shot as this lens will eat your batteries for breakfast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:24 pm 
You could avoid some of the motion blur with a faster lens like 70-200/4 or 70-200/2.8 :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:03 pm 

Or with increasing the ISO!
Everybody is so shy of noise, they seem to have forgotten what an ISO800-film looked like :?

Post subject: Testing out the 70-300
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:57 pm 
I borrowed the 70-300mm last weekend and posted the results here: http://flickr.com/photos/ericsmalling/s ... 176665077/

I'm pretty much sold on it, the only down sides being the weight and how not-wide 70mm is on the short end - both of which are completely expected and "the price you pay" for such a long lens.

Before I decide on it, I've already reserved a weekend rental of the 28-135 IS USM from a local camera shop to see if I like it "almost as much".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:13 pm 

Nice test-run Eric! I've seen you took a lot of shots at focal lengths above 200mm but in most cases you also could have stepped a little closer to the action. Now what is it that sold you on this lens: The reach, the IS, the IQ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:15 am 
tombomba2 wrote:
Nice test-run Eric! I've seen you took a lot of shots at focal lengths above 200mm but in most cases you also could have stepped a little closer to the action. Now what is it that sold you on this lens: The reach, the IS, the IQ?

The reach mainly, the IS is like icing on the cake - if money was no option, I'd probably rather get the high end, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens. That F2.8 would be nicer as he gets into faster sports and future, nighttime games.

As for stepping closer, actually, that wasn't an option as my wife (the photographer for the TBall game) had to stay behind the chain-link backstop fence.

I think I'm very spoiled for my camcorder lens, a GL-1 :) (I've read that it has the equivalent of something like 50 - 800mm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:09 am 
You must be very pleased ! with the 70-300mm.
But I dont think the 28-135 will be as reachable.
But do let us know !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:58 pm 
DavidL wrote:
You must be very pleased ! with the 70-300mm.
But I dont think the 28-135 will be as reachable.
But do let us know !

Yes, it obviously won't be as long as the 300, but I'm thinking for my 1st non-kit lens, I might be able to settle for the 28-135 as a more versatile compromise and will pick up the 70-300 some time next year to round out my camera bag.

Actually, if the 28-135 is to my liking, I probably will be looking at a flash before the longer zoom as my Quantaray one from my Rebel 2000 doesn't appear to have an adapter to mate to a 20D. (The current adapter powers the AF assist, but it won't fire the flash.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:27 am 
Ok, so I've had the 28-135 IS USM for a weekend (rented) and my wife and I took a ton of shots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericsmalli ... 308656972/

I liked the versatality that the 28mm gave me, and 135mm (with the 1.6x multiplier) was a decent length, but for only a little more money, I think I'd rather have the 70-300 IS.

This time, it was overcast for the TBall and I also took a ton of shots at an ice hockey game and I now am coming to another quandary: spend the money on image stabilization or a faster lens! IS is nice for stable subjects, but objects in motion really cry for faster shutter speeds. (See the hockey snaps in the 2nd half of that Flickr set.)

So now I'm thinking about the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (non-IS). It's not as fast as the f/2.8L, of course, but it's about half the price. I may rent that one next weekend if I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:42 am 
Hi Eric
Envy you guys - can rent first then decide whether to buy or not.
No such luck here though :?

Not bad for 28-135mm - looks decent enough. But I feel your need for the 70-300mm :wink:

Had a fast look of some of the ice hockey images. Image 4160 had some blurring effect - but maybe 1/60 does that. A faster speed will be able to freeze the action. Image 4198 have lots to be desired but its also 1/60 and metering was evalutive ( i assume that matrix) perhaps some change in metering mode would have been better. My 2cts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:47 am 
DavidL wrote:
Hi Eric
Envy you guys - can rent first then decide whether to buy or not.
No such luck here though :?

Not bad for 28-135mm - looks decent enough. But I feel your need for the 70-300mm :wink:

Had a fast look of some of the ice hockey images. Image 4160 had some blurring effect - but maybe 1/60 does that. A faster speed will be able to freeze the action. Image 4198 have lots to be desired but its also 1/60 and metering was evalutive ( i assume that matrix) perhaps some change in metering mode would have been better. My 2cts.
Yes, I was trying to use it as my wife would - turn on the sports AI mode and shoot off a bunch of frames.

Another problem I had in that hockey rink was that there was nowhere to shoot from that wasn't behind the safety glass - which was pretty dingy. (The rink I usually would play at has taller stands that can get your line of sight above that glass.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:33 am 
You know - the more I think about it, the more stupid I feel - I'm so used to film that the fact that my DSLR can change ISO completely skipped my mind. I guess ISO just doesn't come to mind in the digital world for me.

From what I've been reading, the 20D's 800 ISO setting is pretty darn good. I'll have to give that a try next weekend at the hockey rink - maybe I can re-borrow that 70-300 again.

Unfortunately, Canon decided that the Sports Program mode can only shoot at 400 ISO - from reading the manual, I'm assuming that if I set it to program mode and turn on AI Servo that it will "act" the same way except that it will allow for manual ISO settings.