Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, just a quick note to let you know I've just posted our Canon EOS 40D review and video tour, here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_40D/

So anyone tempted to take the plunge?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:31 am 
Great review Gordon, after reading it I made my final decision. I'm stepping up from a compact to an eos 40d with a 50mm f1.4 lens to begin with. I'm probably going to get it next week.
Once again, great review, you've been a huge help to me in "my quest for a DSLR" :P

p.s. if anyone's interested i've set up a flash gallery (via lightroom) of some of my photo's (all with compact camera epson l-410). Go check it out if you want to. http://users.telenet.be/BMphoto/

Cya

Bart

Post subject: Brilliant
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:42 am 

Hi Gordon,

I'd like to echo Bart's sentiments. Your review is an absolute model of clarity which conveys a huge amount of information in a very approachable style. Other reviewers should be forced to read and learn so they can improve their craft. Congratulations.

Bob.

P.S. Park Cameras tell me my 40D will be here tomorrow!

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:04 pm 
Perfect review as always! While I saw the video tour I was asking myself if it was possible to MF in live view and seconds after you showed how well it is done 8) Live view looks like such a great feature, I want one :) Can't believe Sony didn't go for that... ;)

You wrote that uninterrupted AF was possible on Nikons live view but will it still be as acurate? Is it worth extra concern that Canon can't "live" AF in live view mode? I can see a big potential in this when doing MF in portraits or macro, did you miss uninterrupted AF when testing it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:21 pm 
Great review Gordon, thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:00 pm 
Gordon, one question : in your review you mention a lot that you have to tweak some settings and shoot RAW for the best results. So what is the best shooting setting according to you ?

RAW , sharpness up a notch or 2, high noise reduction on ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:17 pm 

Great video Gordon, you've outdone yourself. I don't think I am the only one who enjoys full 10-min video reviews on great cams such as the 40D. Very informative and useful video. Once again you set yourself apart from other sites by providing these videos. Thank you! :) S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:27 pm 
Great review ! as always your standard is just too good..!

Couple of things on the top of my head as i was watching .

You demo MF via live-view, was just wondering what sort of lens you tested it on ? The newly announced or the L series ?
Also did you have to switch the lens to MF like Nikon lenses ? or was it auto ? Likewise when the camera was under software control via PC, and you adjusted via mouse-clicking , was there any changes to the Lens prior ?

How long can the live-view stay on ? Hopefully not like the Olympus E-series which can 'hold' for couple of seconds (10 sec i think)

DavidL

Post subject: Re: Brilliant
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:52 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi Gordon,

I'd like to echo Bart's sentiments. Your review is an absolute model of clarity which conveys a huge amount of information in a very approachable style. Other reviewers should be forced to read and learn so they can improve their craft. Congratulations.

Bob.

P.S. Park Cameras tell me my 40D will be here tomorrow!

Lucky you..... Green with envy :cry:, are you keepng your 400D or did you PX it for the 40D.

Post subject: Re: Brilliant
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:01 pm 

Defiant wrote:
are you keeping your 400D or did you PX it for the 40D.

Still working on that one. :? If, as I believe, I still have all the original packaging and as I bought it with the kit lens (never used) I might have a crack at selling it via Amazon. A perfect starter DSLR for the Canon lens system and Christmas approaches. :wink:

By the way, some questions about the 40D can be answered by referring to its manual. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you found the review and video useful. Here's a few answers to some questions, in no particular order!

MF in PC remote control - you actually need to have the lens set to AF for this to work. Put it to MF and the focusing controls are greyed out - I guess this actually switches off the focusing motor, preventing it from working. And there's three buttons for different focusing speeds... As for the lens, I used the EF 24-105mm f/4L for that remote control demo and it was zoomed into about 70mm...

I just tried it with the EF-S 18-55mm and it still works, albeit with a bit more noise! You do get the impression with non-USM lenses that the focusing increments aren't as consistent though.

AF in Live View - The D300 can use contrast-based auto-focusing in its Live View mode, which works the same way as compacts, but not having tested it yet, I can't comment on the speed or accuracy. I certainly didn't mind the 40D flipping its mirror to AF during Live View. I also believe the D300 may not have a Live Histogram or as smooth a screen refresh, but again can't comment until I see a final model.

Live View time limit - if you're using the camera alone, Live View switches off after one minute, but this may be configurable. When you're remote controlling with a PC and not using the camera's screen, I've had it running constantly for over ten minutes - but I'm not sure what effect this would have on the sensor heating or noise levels...

Anti-dust - the results implied the low pass filter was further from the sensor than on, say, the 400D, hence the more out of focus marks. But I can't see how that's possible as it's already pretty tight in there. But I'll ask Canon and see what I can find out. As I said in the review, it may be design or pure luck, but the anti-dust really appeared to work on this one (or at least made the marks hard to see).

Sharpness and settings - this is a really personal thing. I hate over-sharpened images, but to my eyes, the 40D's default JPEGs were just a fraction too soft for my taste. When viewed in isolation, they look great, but next to other cameras they just lacked a little for me. The quick fix is to stick with Standard Picture Style and simply increase the sharpening one notch from 3 to 4. But for better results, just shoot in RAW - I found RAW conversions made with DPP using the default settings looked much better. It's all down to personal preferences though and I look forward to hearing what you guys think...

10 minute videos! - Shiva, I had a hard time editing this one down and reluctantly had to remove demos of things like the silent shooting mode. BUT, I plan to do a couple of supplementary videos to demo these features in the very near future...

Bob's 40D! - Congratulations Bob! I think you'll be very happy - the magnified manual focusing during Live View is useful for astro-photography, so long as you find a bright star, and the PC remote software effectively becomes a super cable release. Nice features... Tell us what you think of the 40D when yours arrives...

Right, I think that's everything for now, but if you have any other Qs, just shout. As Bob says, there's lots of operational info in the manual if you're intereste din downloading the PDF.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:31 pm 

Quote:
10 minute videos! - Shiva, I had a hard time editing this one down and reluctantly had to remove demos of things like the silent shooting mode. BUT, I plan to do a couple of supplementary videos to demo these features in the very near future...

good idea to post more videos of such a hot cam. I think with 40D and D300 you can't post enough info to satisfy the curious... :) silent mode? sounds intriging... ;) S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, it really works too, but only for one shot...

From this page: www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_40D/screen.shtml

"With Mode 2 selected in the Silent Shoot menu, it’s possible to shoot using an electronic first curtain shutter and delay the re-cocking of the physical shutter by holding the shutter release button down.

The idea is to press the shutter release button to take the photo (with a very faint click), but keep it held until you’re out of ear shot, after which you can let go, allowing the 40D to audibly re-cock the physical shutter. You may only be able to take one photo with this technique, but it could be useful in certain situations."

Post subject: 40D / RAW photos
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:10 pm 
Hi Gordon,

I enjoyed your review of the 40D, very indepth!

I have a question. Are you saying that for the clearest picture, shooting in RAW format would be the best solution? Jpeg format would be used more for what type of shooting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Roger, shooting in RAW gives you access to the sensor's actual data before it's been processed (or compromised!) by the conversion to JPEG.

So the RAW format should always give you potentially better quality than a JPEG generated in-camera, but the difference varies between cameras, not to mention different RAW software.

The downside to RAW are its larger file sizes (less in your card and fewer in burst shooting), and of course the necessity to process them in software later - but this can be as simple as a click or two.

As you can see from my 40D results though, I'd say it's definitely worth shooting in RAW for this model for the best results...