Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: From Nikon to Canon?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:26 pm 
I was wondering if anyone used to shoot with Nikon and switched to Canon? If so, why, what made you switch?

With all of the hype around the Canon EOS 5D Mark II (and it does seem like a really nice DSLR!) it got me wondering if I would ever switch from Nikon to Canon.

What do you do with all of the lenses that you purchase over the years? I know it sounds really wrong, but can you use Nikon lenses on a Canon body?

Thanks for your insights! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:31 pm 

I can only answer part of that. Due to the differences in registration distance, you can get mechanical lens adapters allowing you to use Nikon lenses manually on Canon. It will be full manual though, but you maintain infinity focus without extra optics.

More in general, having gone between systems, you have to ask is what's being offered elsewhere that you can't do really needed to make the switch? Give it a little time and maybe there'll be a Nikon 5D2 killer.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:21 pm 
Oh, the grass always greener on the other side 8)

I myself considered switching to Nikon many times, but my investment on lenses and accessories kept me with Canon.

Why would I switch to Nikon?
Basically: AF speed and Noise at high ISO. The D300 I tested just outperformed my 40D any possible way for my kind of shooting.

But... my 40D is an great camera and I have too much in lenses to switch without a big loss, so I'll wait for maybe the 60D or 70D to get there
:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:52 pm 

As Alex says, i dabbled with a switch to nikon from canon, so much so that i bought a D700, but came back to canon as nikon's primes just did no cut it for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:07 pm 
Orsan Kart wrote:
As Alex says, i dabbled with a switch to nikon from canon, so much so that i bought a D700, but came back to canon as nikon's primes just did no cut it for me...

How about an User Review or maybe an User Testimonial about that experience, Orsan?
I bet many people (including myself) would love to hear your switch/switch back experience... with some photos maybe? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:32 pm 
Orsan Kart wrote:

Still have that D700 just laying around... ;)