Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:04 pm 
Hi , the reason I started this topic was because of the thread of Bob Andersson http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1271.

He showed 100% crops of a 40d image at iso400 and the result wasn't very clean. This rang a bell with me. Some time ago I think I read something about the first produced 20 & 30d camera's who had abnormaly high noise levels (higher than 20 & 30d's that were produced later on). Some say this is with al their new camera's (with the first models that is) , could this be the same with the 40d ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:20 pm 

That would be very unwise of Canon, as all those test sites then will put the new cam down!

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Noise
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:51 pm 

In fairness I did select a target that I thought, from seeing other 40D shots already posted elsewhere, might prove a challenge. I also raised the bar slightly by using ISO 400.

The test was a very personal one as was my conclusion. I haven't seen any complaints about bad 40D sensor noise. Indeed, on one site the reviewer even seemed to think that the 40D approached the IQ he would expect from a 5D :!: . Mind you, he does have a slight track record of such generous statements. :roll:

The strongest conclusion I would like to see drawn from the picture I posted is that it might be worth paying a little extra attention to the noise results obtained by expert reviewers, who will be working in controlled conditions and with a rigorous methodology.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Canon's 40D White Paper
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:10 pm 

Just to add more balance here is a quote from the Canon EOS 40D White Paper available here.

Although the EOS 40D’s single-piece CMOS sensor is based on the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi’s sensor design and manufacturing technology, new processes were incorporated in the CMOS semiconductor fabrication and microlens-forming process. By improving light-collecting efficiency, the same ISO range and low noise (S/N ratio) as that of the EOS 30D were attained even though the pixels on the 30D are larger.

Having the same S/N ratio with a higher pixel density is certainly worthwhile but it seems that, unless there is a real breakthrough, we have pretty much reached the point where cleaner images require bigger sensors. 5D MkII anyone?

Bob.

I would have said "D3 anyone" but this is a Canon thread. :)

P.S. I have found a thread on another forum (they block links to Camera Labs so I won't link to them) with similar results at ISO 400 and with Highlight Priority On. If Highlight Priority is the default out of the box then that might explain the chroma noise I saw. We really need to see some properly controlled tests. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:48 pm 
Bob , now i'm doubting about buying a 40d :? . I'm a 16-year old student whose been saving money for almost 2 years now. So if I buy the camera I have to be certain if it's in good order. Did you take some other shots with the 40d ?

Post subject: Sit tight
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:59 pm 

Bart Michiels wrote:
Bob , now i'm doubting about buying a 40d :? . I'm a 16-year old student whose been saving money for almost 2 years now. So if I buy the camera I have to be certain if it's in good order. Did you take some other shots with the 40d ?

Bart,

Don't base your decisions on my first impressions! The worst I am suggesting here is that the 40D is still the best Canon DSLR short of a 5D. Note that in my original post I suggested that if you have the budget the 40D would be a brilliant first DSLR. You need to wait for reviews from trusted sources like Gordon.

Bob.

EDIT: I have come to the conclusion that you were probably right in your suggestion that the camera I briefly tried out must have been faulty. Gordon's review has convinced me of this and my 40D is now on order!