Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:42 pm 
Hi everyone. I was thinking of upgrading my Digital Ixus 50 to a 960 IS to benefit from 12MP and image stabilisation (and a slightly longer zoom and larger LCD).

But I am confused about the size of the CCD which is listed as 1/1.7" rather than the 1/2.5" CCDs on the other Ixus cameras. Does this mean it is smaller and therefore the camera will be less sensitive to light?

Call me stupid if you like, but how many mm is 1/1.7" ? How do you even pronounce 1/1.7" ? Seems strange to mix fractional inches with decimals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Banana Jack, a 1/1.7in sensor is physically bigger than a 1/2.5in sensor, but just to be confusing these figures refer to the diameter of an 'imaginary' circle around the sensor where a glass tube would go if it were an ancient TV camera - yes, it's a throwback to the birth of television!

The actual sensor itself is a smaller square within this 'circle'...

I don't know the exact measurements of 1/1.7in and 1/2.5in type sensors, but older 1/1.8in sensors measured 7.2x5.3mm, while 1/2.7in sensors measured 5.3x4mm.

Pretty small huh? No wonder they get so noisy...

Do have a look at our Sony W200 review to see how a 12mpixel compact works out in practice...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:02 am 

Well, if
- 1/1.8in sensor actually measures 7.18x5.32mm and
- 1/1.5in sensor actually measures 8.8x6.6mm
I'd assume that
- 1/1.7in sensor actually measures around 7.7x5.7mm
That is then approx 1/8 the area of a APS-C sensor :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:25 am 
Hi guys, thanks for your replies. Wow I had no idea the size was related to a historical TV camera tube! So I have learnt something there. Yes, compared to the size of SLR cameras it's amazing that these compacts produce any picture at all! But my experience is that in good light, they give excellent results considering how much more portable they are. And when I am going somewhere and want to "travel light", I think it's good to have a small camera to take rather than deciding not to take any camera at all because the SLR is too large.

In the case of the 960 IS, although Canon are using a larger CCD to give a higher resolution, I suppose in theory they could have used a larger CCD to give less noise. But maybe by down-sizing a high-resolution shot, I could significantly reduce noise using photo-processing software anyway, if I wanted to. So the 1/2.5in sensor will always give a better result.