Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question for Bob
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:19 pm 
Hi,Bob !

With all the topics on new models, I thought I would post my questions in a new one to minimize confusion.

I've seen the page about the rumor of the 5D mII, with 16 mp FF. Looks like they want to push the IQ the further they can !

But, will be far superior in terms of HQ vs. Xti and 40D ?

And... the price ? The 5D was 5000$ when it was first released, no ? So maybe they will put it up to 5000$ again !

But from the day i purchased my XTi and stepped into dSLR world, I saw one thing: The difference of IQ between P&S and dSLR is amazing, but between dSLR/sensor.. it's not very noticeable. I'll never go to a P&S again, but I wonder if it's not a body feature war now. Maybe they reached the maximum IQ they could with dSLR nowadays, so they can only minimize noise every generation, add a tiny tiny bit of IQ, and lots of features.

What do you think ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:25 pm 

Bob will certainly put in his own thoughts.
But from my point of view, there are the following major facts for future DSLR-development:
- FF will only (but always) be 1EV ahead of APS-C sensors. That's the laws of physics! And the limits of s/n-ratio will soon be reached.
- beyond resolutions of 30MPix/FF or 14MPix/APS-C sensors you're going to see the limits of the lenses very clear, so there is not much more to win in this direction. A 50MPix FF-sensor rumoured under development at Canon is pure "marchitecture" imho
- that in turn means that the marketing-war will be increasingly fought over other features, like live-view, fps, etc. but that is not a primary driver of IQ.

Post subject: Re: Question for Bob
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:32 pm 

Cr4zYH3aD wrote:
...I've seen the page about the rumor of the 5D mII, with 16 mp FF. Looks like they want to push the IQ the further they can ! But, will be far superior in terms of HQ vs. Xti and 40D ? And... the price ? The 5D was 5000$ when it was first released, no ? So maybe they will put it up to 5000$ again !
Maybe they reached the maximum IQ they could with dSLR nowadays, so they can only minimize noise every generation, add a tiny tiny bit of IQ, and lots of features...

Phew! Not having the pleasure of a 5D in hand all I can do is echo what I have read elsewhere. The IQ from the 5D was the digital benchmark short of going to a medium format back. Canon went from 8MP to 10MP when the brought out the 40D as the successor to the 30D. By all accounts the improvement in sensor design meant that they could do this without a loss of image quality. The leap from 12 to 16MP is similar in percentage terms so my guess is that the MkII will have similar IQ to the 5D but with a higher resolution.

It has seemed that sensor development has plateaued recently but, as you have seen, if the reports on Northlight Images 5Dmk2 /3D/ 7D rumours page are correct this may just be a false flat. I quote "Canon is working on a new generation CMOS sensor – lower voltage, full 100% cover micro-lenses and better dynamic range allowing 16 bit per channel raw files. These will support a clean 6400 ISO similar to today's 1600 and go to 25600 with acceptable noise. Target for this is the next generation of the 1D series cameras in 2010, before spreading to other models. These are being trialled at 50MP in FF format. Canon are very excited about these sensors – seeing them as being as big a step up in performance as their move from CCD to CMOS a decade ago". There is a lot more on this page and for those who haven't visited it is well worth a read providing you remember that it is a rumours page.

As for price, I am not sure the market will bear $5000 but what do I know? The 5D market is pretty small compared to the 40D line so maybe Canon need to keep prices high to recoup their investment. On the other hand, if the 5D MkII development costs, sensor excepted, have largely been covered already by the 40D then Canon could afford to position the camera quite aggressively.

Please bear in mind that I live in a quiet corner of England so the above is merely my take on rumours reported elsewhere. I have no insider information!

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.