Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:09 am 
Site Admin

Hi Roger, a 100% crop is a small portion of an image viewed at 1:1 on-screen (or 100% in Photoshop etc), ideally of an area with lots of detail to reveal the differences...

So just use software on your computer to grab the same small area of each sample - say around 300x150 pixels in size...

Just like we do here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... oise.shtml

If you won't have both cameras at the same time, try and remember exactly where you took the photo and use the same lens at the same focal length and aperture setting if possible! You could even keep a copy of the 'old' image on the memory card so you can play it back on the new camera, allowing you to get a better match...

But really, any comparison will be interesting - and useful!

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:12 am 
Ah yes i see. That shouldn't be a problem, and I will keep note of my settings. So you would sugest zooming in on an object in the distance or an object closer to me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Roger, it doesn't really matter, so long as the composition has lots of detail, and you can replicate it easily the next day if necessary.

Make sure you note all the settings, including Picture Mode... the latter won't be stored in the EXIF JPEG data...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:27 pm 
Warehouse Express have got the 40D for sale at £799 + a free 2 Gb Sandisk Extreme 111 compact flash card (keep your hands where they are Bob price is still dropping)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:15 pm 
Phoned T4 Cameras in Swindon this morning as they advertised a 40D for £833 inclusive of VAT and deliverery to ask if they would :idea: PX my 400D against the 40D the reply was and I quote :roll: "Subject to inspection they would allow me £175 and was complete with all cables, software etc" :cry: .... guess I will be hanging onto the 400D for a while yet :cry:

Post subject: Selling
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:47 pm 

Defiant wrote:
...guess I will be hanging onto the 400D for a while yet :cry:

Something I was considering, had I bought the 40D, was selling via the Amazon.co.uk web-site. Have a look at their 400D page. There's a button at the bottom of the "More Buying Choices" box labelled "Sell Yours Here". I guess this is only an option if you have all the original bits and boxes.

Has anyone used Amazon to sell their used kit?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:48 pm 

Only for DVDs so far. It's a nice option: You set the price, see the other offers and just wait until a buyer comes along. You can adjust your price every time and don't have to fear to sell it for the infamous "1€" on eBay :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:49 pm 
lowest price in UK £769:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod576.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:23 am 
Site Admin

We have an updated list of UK suppliers for the 40D here.

769 was the cheapest at the time of posting...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:18 pm 

Canon EOS 40D SLR Camera Body Only

Price: £749.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery :shock: 8) :shock:

For other vendors, and to support the site, check out these prices.

Bob.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:30 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:

Price: £749.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery :shock: 8) :shock:

Bob.

Like to share with us where this is.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:27 pm 
Check out DigitalRev for this price, I've ordered from them before and they have always been prompt and their support is great.

£711.17
http://www.digitalrev.com/en/product_de ... em_id=2117

Niclas

Bob Andersson wrote:

For other vendors, and to support the site, check out these prices.

Bob.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:47 pm 

Defiant wrote:

I thought the Super Saver Delivery was enough of a give-away: Amazon UK.

totebo wrote:
Check out DigitalRev for this price

As you are someone who has used these people before could you enlighten me please. I believe they guarantee that you don't pay anything extra like the VAT that is normally required to import goods from outside the EU.

Question If the camera hasn't been examined by customs so that VAT can be paid aren't you taking one hell of a risk should you subsequently travel abroad with the camera and get stopped by Customs on your return. Additionally, as I understand it, if warranty work is required the camera must be returned to Hong Kong. If the package is examined by Customs on its return and it is seen that the camera's serial number hasn't been recorded as imported into the UK aren't you again liable for prosecution.

Or have I got it all horribly wrong?

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:54 pm 
Quote:
if warranty work is required the camera must be returned to Hong Kong

I am waiting for my 24-105 to be delivered on Monday. I actually asked them about the warranty scheme they include with their camera/lenses.
Its MACK warranty and I was told you can have the camera/lens serviced in UK as long as you contact MACK (http://www.mackcam.com/) before sending your camera/lens to service centre.
They will reimburse the cost of the repair/service.

i hope nothing's wrong with the lens I ordered!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:15 pm 
I'm not sure about prosecution if you travel abroad... However, the lenses and camera I bought from Digitalrev wasn't stopped in any customs I was going through when I went on an around the world trip earlier this year. Quite a few customs. Can they stop you and demand receipts?! I find that unlikely? The only problem I had was carrying most of my gear (minus tripod and telephoto lens) in one stealth reporter bag when travelling, so I could take it as carry on; nearly broke my back!

As far as I know you don't have to send anything back to the office in Hong Kong. But then, everything I ordered from them has been faultless, so I don't know. It has mostly been high grade products, though, which should be able to take a knock or two.

Niclas

Bob Andersson wrote:
Defiant wrote:

I thought the Super Saver Delivery was enough of a give-away: Amazon UK.

totebo wrote:
Check out DigitalRev for this price

As you are someone who has used these people before could you enlighten me please. I believe they guarantee that you don't pay anything extra like the VAT that is normally required to import goods from outside the EU.

Question If the camera hasn't been examined by customs so that VAT can be paid aren't you taking one hell of a risk should you subsequently travel abroad with the camera and get stopped by Customs on your return. Additionally, as I understand it, if warranty work is required the camera must be returned to Hong Kong. If the package is examined by Customs on its return and it is seen that the camera's serial number hasn't been recorded as imported into the UK aren't you again liable for prosecution.

Or have I got it all horribly wrong?

Bob.