Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Suitable telezoom
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:38 pm 
Hi guys,

Excuse my fickle mindedness..

Please, I need your help deciding on which lens I should get, for a suitable telephoto zoom.

I've basically got it all down to this:
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

Well if I get the L, I would lose 100mm (a lot!!) and also lose image stability. Whereas if I get the 70-300mm, I don't get L glass (fluorite). Some of my friends advised me on the L as it's also a "weather sealed" lens. Some even say that L grade produces better colour?

L is expensive like 'L. But the price of these both lenses aren't that far apart. It's the best I can afford at the moment.

I would be using this telephoto zoom for street photography as I've always wanted to do so.

Help would be greatly appreciated as I'm bewildered at the moment!

Thanks guys.

Best of regards,
- m i n g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ming, that's a great question and perhaps one for a future Cameralabs group test...

70-300 IS pros: Affordable, relatively small and light, IS, range
70-300 IS cons: basic build quality, rotating front element, slow focusing

70-200 L pros: better optical and build quality. Better weather-proofing. Quicker and quieter focusing. f4 aperture throughout range
70-200 L cons: no IS on old model. Not very discreet white barrel. Heavier. Not as long a range.

Having used both, the 70-200L is clearly a far superior lens, and if you;re shooting candid street photography, you'll love its faster focusing. BUT people will stare at your white barrel!

As for IS, it sure is useful, and you'll no doubt know Canon recently released a version of the 70-200 f4L with IS, but it's much more expensive. As it is, it makes the 70-200 non-IS look like a bargain.

I think you really need to visit a camera store and try them in person though. I reckon you won't miss the extra 100mm, and will be seduced by the superior build, quality and focusing of the 70-200 f4L.

If you're in a store, try out the 70-300 DO IS as well. It has the 70-300 range, IS, and quick, quiet focusing, along with a smaller, more discreet body, but the quality isn't as good as the 70-200 L, it's pricey and it has a strange bokeh due to the DO element. It is a neat lens though.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:08 am 
Hi Gordon,

Thanks heaps!

I've also been thinking about the white lens barrel, many might notice me. I would go for the IS too but I'm more towards shooting outdoor, though IS would really help if I happen to shoot say a fashion show or some event indoor.

Was actually thinking of getting the el-cheapo lens, Tamron 70-300mm but read up on how to buy lenses and it seems that cheap lenses are only a temporary solution. I should blow my budget on a top-notch lens rather than getting a few cheap lenses.

As for the 70-300mm DO IS, it would come handy for street photography as the DO makes it way smaller than the 70-300 IS. But to me, I'm not going to pay a few hundred bucks just for a smaller lens. Gordon, what do you mean by strange bokeh? As in, the bokeh isn't circular?

I guess my decision is made. Haha thanks again Gordon, really appreciate it!

Regards,
- m i n g