Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:10 pm 
I have a 35mm Rebel that I have 2 Canon lenses for - one 28-80 and one 80-200. Can I use these lenses on the digital version of the Rebel? If so, what kind of quality can I expect? Do I need to invest in a different lense also? What kind of lense would you recommend for a newbie (I still know little about SLR picture taking! I hate to admit!) I have a son in marching band and would like some zoom. Are the lenses that are 24-200 good? Sounds good not to have to switch lenses back and forth.
Thanks
Deb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:23 pm 

Hi Debbie,

The EOS Rebel 2000 camera uses Canon EF lenses so you can use these lenses with any of the current Canon EOS Digital SLR cameras. If they have auto-focus fitted that should still work fine as well.

The biggest thing you will notice is that on the normal consumer Digital Rebel cameras your lenses will appear to give a bigger "magnification" than you are used to. On those cameras the sensor chip is a bit smaller than a frame of 35mm film. Here's a picture to show what I mean (click on it for a full tutorial).

The image circle created by a 35mm format lens is shown.
    The blue rectangle shows what a 35mm film, or a full-frame digital SLR will record.
    The inner red frame shows what a digital SLR with a 1.6X magnification factor will record.
What this means is that for your 28-80mm lens if you use it at its widest angle of view of 28mm on a Digital Rebel camera it will look through the viewfinder as you are accustomed to seeing on your film camera at a lens zoom of 45mm (28 x 1.6 = 45. 1.6 is the "crop" factor).

This is good for your son in his band as your 80-200mm lens will now behave as though it were a 128-320mm lens on a full frame 35mm camera. If you buy your Digital Rebel with the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens then you will get back the wide angle coverage (18 x 1.6 = 29) that you have been used to with your 28-80mm lens on your film camera. A win-win situation. 8)

Because a "cropped frame" digital Rebel sensor is extracting pretty much the same detail from its smaller sensor area as a frame of normal speed 35mm film gives at normal print sizes the sensor is working the lens a bit harder. This might mean that a poor quality lens might show a little more softness than it did with 35mm film.

For most lenses this isn't likely to be a huge issue but if you are concerned then have a look on the net for reviews of your current lenses as most such reviews these days are done using cropped frame sensors. The good news is that a cropped frame sensor only uses the central portion of the image made by the lens (see the picture above) and that is usually the sharpest part of the image.

If you do buy a Digital Rebel with the kit lens then be aware that the kit lens mustn't be used on your old film camera.

There is lots of good advice on this site to help you with your choice whatever your budget. Gordon has a review of the Digital Rebel XT here and the Digital Rebel XTi here. There's lots to take in but I think your will be pleased when you make the switch. Enjoy. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:19 pm 
Thanks! Also, for a newbie, what are the things that I really need to get for the camera to begin with? Lens hood? Filter? What brand and kind? What kind of memory card? So many of the websites have "kits" that they put together, but didn't know what I needed and if the "kits" are quality stuff. Sorry so many questions!
Deb

Also, would it be worth while to look into one of the lenses that goes from little to reasonable tele? Do they take good pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:46 pm 
I would just for a 20D or 30D, I shoot Nikon but from what I hear they are great cameras the 20D ,although it doesn't have the same resolution, or 2.5" screen, has much better build quality and is cery easy and comfortable to use. Although if you don't shoot with the PSAM modes and manually set your exposure I would would get a Rebel XTi.

Post subject: Accessories
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:59 pm 

debbie wrote:
Thanks! Also, for a newbie, what are the things that I really need to get for the camera to begin with? Lens hood? Filter? What brand and kind? What kind of memory card? So many of the websites have "kits" that they put together, but didn't know what I needed and if the "kits" are quality stuff. Sorry so many questions!
Deb

Also, would it be worth while to look into one of the lenses that goes from little to reasonable tele? Do they take good pictures?

Lens hoods don't come as standard unless you buy Canon's top of the range "L" lenses. That said, if you have been happy with your current lenses then changing to a "digital" body doesn't suddenly mean you need lens hoods.

Same deal with filters: if you have been happy to do without then you don't have to buy them. I would suggest that if you buy an expensive new lens then it might be worth getting a good clear UV filter just to protect the front element. If you want to move on to more creative work then there are lots of options, some of which have been discussed on other threads.

As for memory cards, the choice of camera will determine that. Sites such as SanDisk even have Compatibility Checkers to advise your choices. Don't believe you have to get the fastest Ultra GeeWhiz Thingumy card though. If you would rather devote part of your budget elsewhere then you won't lose out unless you routinely shoot long sequences at many frames per second. A SanDisk Ultra® II CompactFlash® 2GB might be a good choice for the Rebel XTi but go for a 4GB card if you intend to take lots of pictures at the best resolutions.

Kits are fine but it's always worthwhile doing your research and reading the relevant reviews. Sure, they are done to a budget but, as you will find out, there is virtually no limit to what you can spend on this hobby if you aren't careful!

One item that may be useful to consider, if you don't already have one, is a convenient way to carry your camera and lenses. A very personal choice!

As for lenses, a good starting point is Gordon's Canon EOS 400D / Rebel XTi lens upgrade group test.

I would also advise searching the various threads not just in the Canon forum but on other forums as well. There will be advice which may help inform your decision on which equivalent Canon kit to go for. Given that you are considering a new lens which will likely stay on your camera nearly all the time you might also want to consider a make other than Canon (not that I would encourage that!).

Gordon has done a 10 Megapixel DSLR group test and also a Should you buy a DSLR or a Compact? feature which might make interesting reading.

Good luck.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:02 pm 

Hey, congrats Bob on your 300th post!
Just keep on posting...

Post subject: Carry On Posting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:21 pm 

tombomba2 wrote:
Hey, congrats Bob on your 300th post!
Just keep on posting...

Thanks Thomas, I hadn't noticed. Whoops, that makes it 301 :!:

Bob.