Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:10 am 
Matt Gerber wrote:
Hello again,

How many pictures are you guys (and girls) getting on a single charge, and what type of batteries do you use? I know this varies depending on shooting style, but I don't seem to be getting much out of my Energizer NiMH 2500 mAh rechargeables (maybe 100 pics), and I am considering replacing them. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,

I have only taken a little over 300 shots so far and I am still on the original NiMh batteries, and their cycle time is still quick. I use Powerex 2700mAh AA's and have always been very happy with their performance (my different "gadgets" use a lot of AA's!). I believe ROY.1 is "spot on" with what he said and I expect to easily reach 500 or more pics on a single charge. Your Energizers are performing VERY poorly if you are only getting 100 shots. As I said, I am very happy with my 2700mAh Powerex NiMh's, and I have also heard good things about the Enerloop NiMh's. Just a thought, are you sure they are getting a full charge? Do you cycle them?

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:42 pm 
Thumper26 wrote:
Matt Gerber wrote:
Hello again,

How many pictures are you guys (and girls) getting on a single charge, and what type of batteries do you use? I know this varies depending on shooting style, but I don't seem to be getting much out of my Energizer NiMH 2500 mAh rechargeables (maybe 100 pics), and I am considering replacing them. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,

I have only taken a little over 300 shots so far and I am still on the original NiMh batteries, and their cycle time is still quick. I use Powerex 2700mAh AA's and have always been very happy with their performance (my different "gadgets" use a lot of AA's!). I believe ROY.1 is "spot on" with what he said and I expect to easily reach 500 or more pics on a single charge. Your Energizers are performing VERY poorly if you are only getting 100 shots. As I said, I am very happy with my 2700mAh Powerex NiMh's, and I have also heard good things about the Enerloop NiMh's. Just a thought, are you sure they are getting a full charge? Do you cycle them?

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. The charger (the one that came with the batteries) says I'm getting a full charge, but I don't have any way of knowing if it's correct. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "cycle", but if you're asking if I discharge them first, then the answer is "yes".

Do you also have a Maha charger? I've read good things about them, and I'm considering this one:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/item.asp?idproduct=178

Cheers,
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:52 pm 
Matt Gerber wrote:
Thumper26 wrote:
Matt Gerber wrote:
Hello again,

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. The charger (the one that came with the batteries) says I'm getting a full charge, but I don't have any way of knowing if it's correct. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "cycle", but if you're asking if I discharge them first, then the answer is "yes".

Do you also have a Maha charger? I've read good things about them, and I'm considering this one:

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,

That looks like a good charger but I prefer one that will discharge and condition as well, like this one:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewIte ... atures#mid

In function it is similar to the charger I use, but I can't for the life of me come up with a link to the one I have.

With my 2700mAh Powerex AA's I "cycle" them every 3 or 4 charges. "Cycling" refers to a controlled discharge followed by a "soft", or slow charge. I have found this method adds a lot of longevity to the batteries. This process is also referred to as "conditioning", but more commonly known as cycling.

Hope this helps...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:07 pm 
Thumper26 wrote:
Matt Gerber wrote:
Thumper26 wrote:
Matt Gerber wrote:
Hello again,

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,

Good luck!

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,

That looks like a good charger but I prefer one that will discharge and condition as well, like this one:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewIte ... atures#mid

In function it is similar to the charger I use, but I can't for the life of me come up with a link to the one I have.

With my 2700mAh Powerex AA's I "cycle" them every 3 or 4 charges. "Cycling" refers to a controlled discharge followed by a "soft", or slow charge. I have found this method adds a lot of longevity to the batteries. This process is also referred to as "conditioning", but more commonly known as cycling.

Hope this helps...

Great information. Thanks!

-Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:57 pm 
This really is a great camera for what it is. In full manual mode and IS on, you can hand-hold it down to 1.6 seconds!

Here is one of my first shots with a digital camera:

1.6 sec @ F/3.2 ISO 100, 7.6mm. I guess that's roughly about a 40mm lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:00 am 
Hey, nice start! Is that some cockpit? You pilot? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:18 am 
I have a commercial certificate with an instrument rating for Single Engine Land. I can't really afford to do much regular flying anymore so I built a 727 simulator.

It's unGodly expensive to fly these days.

Post subject: Camera setting
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:45 am 
Hi guys, would you please recommend me setting of my camera(sx10) for this action? I`m going on of these tonight and i want best pictures. I have a tripod. I know, that i have to use longer shutter speeds and turn the is off when on tripod, but is it anything else i should do? Here is the action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj2tTGbt ... re=related Thx for your opinion and help!

Post subject: fresh sx10is owner
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:30 pm 
hello people
i registered here beacouse Gordon's reviews convinced me with his review to buy the canon.i am verry fond of it

started to love photography by using my mobile phones at best to take pictures(NokiaN73 and then N95)

here are some of my pictures:
http://www.antipropho.blogspot.com/

Post subject: filters on SX10 is
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:13 pm 
has anyone tried filters on the canon sx 10 is?
i've heard roumors of 52mm filters fitting on it
also people use the raynox dcr-250 for macro shots

any oppinons about this?

thanx

Post subject: Re: filters on SX10 is
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:29 pm 

antipropho wrote:

any oppinons about this?

thanx

I had both the SX10 & SX1, and just about managed to screw a 52mm filter on. Not a very good fit though!!

Post subject: Re: Camera setting
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:50 pm 
Andresoid wrote:
Hi guys, would you please recommend me setting of my camera(sx10) for this action? I`m going on of these tonight and i want best pictures. I have a tripod. I know, that i have to use longer shutter speeds and turn the is off when on tripod, but is it anything else i should do? Here is the action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj2tTGbt ... re=related Thx for your opinion and help!

CONGRATULATION on your new SX10 IS!

That's a very interesting video, and a great turnout! Was that a celebration of some kind?

Sorry, I haven't had enough time with my SX10 to help you, other than to say the "Night-Mode Scene" pushes the ISO too high for anything other than a very noisy picture. I have to play with night pics in Manual before I can give you any emperical recommendations.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:54 pm 
antipropho wrote:

any oppinons about this?

thanx

I read somewhere that an adapter was to become available for attaching filters to the SX10 but haven't seen any yet (probably slip and turn, like the lens hood). I also read on another forum that someone else was able to get a UV filter "pressure fit" to the camera's lens, but I can't remember the size that was used.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:22 pm 

edited!!
It may seem the filter thread was biting onto the series of ridges on the end of the lens, rather than it screwing in.

Last edited by rob2278 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:18 pm 
It seems many filters etc do fit, there is no thread on the lens, it's just a series of ridges for the lens cap to hang on to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next