Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 34  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:24 pm 

80, with good natural light. Maybe I'm exposing wrong?

Here's a 100% crop. Check the left border of the flower.

1/100, F/2.8, ISO 80, 0 step compensation, no zoom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:25 pm 

I think that's called chromatic aberration, or something, try increasing the aperture a little, it almost looks like it's zoomed in a bit even though you've said it's not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:40 pm 

I just purchased a SX10IS and joined this message board. Unfortunately the camera was sold out at the moment but it will come in some day next week. One of the upsides is that I have some time to locate a good fitting bag for it. Is there a specific bag that accompanies this model? Or is there any other bag you recommend? The one I bought fro my older A520 ended up being too big for the camera, I want to make sure that get it right this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:01 pm 

There is a Canon bag for it, but it's not *that* cheap and not a lot of places have it in right now.

I bought a Lowepro bag, the Clips 100, which is nice, but isn't actually big enough.
So i ended up buying the Lowepro Apex 110 AW which is more or less a perfect fit, including the lens hood and extras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:30 pm 

Check the "Edit 110" from Lowepro as well as that is what I got for my SX1 which is of course same size as SX10 and is slightly diff fit to the Apex.

Moe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:37 pm 

The only problem with the Edit is it's internal size is 6.3W X 3.3D X 4.3H in.

The SX10/SX1 is 5W X 4D X 3.75H roughly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:26 am 

Thats as maybe but it makes a lovely snug fit with room for 2 packets of spare batteries in pocket in front of D measure and spare SD card in lid pocket.

been great to use for a month now

Moe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 am 

What i meant is that the camera is bigger than the case so it's not being protected properly. The Clips 100 i had was a fantastic snug fit but it was straining against the outer cover once it was shut.

Hence the choice of the Apex 110 as it has a diver inside that allows an internal snug fit whilst being big enough all round to house the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:54 pm 

Guys do something about the CHDK... can't wait :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:31 pm 

R0Y.1 wrote:
Guys do something about the CHDK... can't wait :(

I agree! I'm looking forward to RAW through chdk - I hope! I really wanted RAW, but the FZ28 looked too disappointing in image quality, and I wanted a super zoom, so I pulled the trigger on the Canon SX10 IS. [I thought about waiting for a review on the Olympus 590UZ but then I figured it wouldn't match the optics (at a minimum) of Canon - time will tell if I was right or wrong].

I just received my SX 10 two days ago, and this coming Thursday I have the carpal tunnel procedure scheduled to be done on my right hand (I'm right handed). I'm not a happy camper since I won't be able to shoot pics for a couple of weeks after the surgery, and so far I've only scratched the surface with this camera. I do like what I've seen it capable of doing so far.

Cameralabs.com in an outstanding site, Gordon! I truly appreciate your seemingly objective reviews and the absolute thoroughness of them. Your videos are particularly appreciated, and they put your site head-and-shoulders above all other review sites. Thanks for all of the great work on our behalf! :D

Thumper26

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:43 pm 

Welcome dude ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:57 pm 

Thanks for the welcome, ROY.1

I read today that Panasonic is falling victim to the economy and laying off a bunch of folks worldwide. From what I'm reading and hearing, there's not one country of any size on a sound financial footing, so Nikon's P90 24X zoom announcement took me by surprise yesterday. I wasn't impressed with their P80, so I doubt there will be much to get excited about with the P90, but I'll be looking forward to Gordon's review of it just as well.

Canon seems to be producing the better optics these days, or at least that's what I gather from reading various reviews. My SX10 is surprising me with its quality pics (so far). I've experienced very little purple fringing, but I am still getting used to all it has to offer. I grabbed a shot of the moon the other night at 20X and its stabilization is a great feature. I also took some night-time pics outside in Program mode and some with "Night Scene". I think that's the last time I'll use the Night Scene" since it forces such a high ISO that the pixelation is too much to bear.

I've got about 300 pics under my belt with it so far and I'd say I'm very happy with 85% of them. The other 15% were a result of "experimenting", but hey, that's what it's all about. I also got some great shots of the Super Bowl off the HDTV using the zoom with no flash, and I could pass them off for pics taken AT the game - they were that good!

I have been distracted trying to get my taxes done over the past several days, so I haven't taken as many pictures as I had hoped by now. I am still amazed at all this camera does, and for a lot less money than I spent on my first digicam, the Sony Mavica FD-81!

I've ordered a copy of Adobe's Elements 7 and am looking forward to exploring that software. Anyone been using Elements? If so, any comments - positive or negative?

Oh, well, back to my taxes for the time being - almost done!

Canon Powershot SX10 IS
Canon 40D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 pm 

I gave the elements 7 demo a 20 min try the other night, i'm not sure as of yet.

I found it annoying complicated to understand exactly what's going on and once i'd applied something, it was a ballache to remove as i'd no idea what it would do before applying it fully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 pm 

I am satisfied with SX10's image quality too. For a non-DSLR with a tiny sensor, I guess this is as good as it gets. To get high-speed shots, more light needs to enter the sensor in a very short time, and that's only possible with a significantly bigger sensor - not 1/2.5 or 1/2.33 or 1/1.6 - at least the 4/3rds or the APS-C types. The P90 has crammed in more megapixels into the same 1/2.33 sensor so there's bound to be more noise. I wonder how far these camera makers are going to continue this, but I think we will someday see a superzoom with this sensor with 18-20MP and may be even 30-35x optical zoom. I don't get carried away by all those gimmicks any more. All that matters to me now is CLEAN, FAST shots. If they use a substantially bigger sensor, they won't be able to give away such high power zooms at such less prices. On the other hand, I think Panasonic has done a very good job by improving the movie mode (light HD/720p, Dolby Digital Stereo 48KHz) on their new 15x superzoom. I think they will reveal a bigger zoom soon.
Now a word of advice. If you are going to invest in software, there are a couple of things I want you to look at. Power render "Purple fringe remover" and Topaz Labs "Adjust" and "Denoise". I have tried quite a few popular brands, and I guarantee you that these are the best. The Topaz Denoise is better than Noise Ninja or Noiseware. And you don't need photoshop to use these plugins - irfanview can get the job done too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:06 pm 

Thanks for the tips, ROY.1, and I will check out Power render "Purple fringe remover" and Topaz Labs "Adjust" and "Denoise" as you suggest. I already have irfanview downloaded and will check that out further as well. I kind of jumped back into "serious" photography only recently and need to get more up to speed on the digital technology in the cameras and software as well. I used to be deep into 35mm with a darkroom and all over 35 years ago, but so much has changed (for the better by far, IMHO). I do kind of miss my red safe-light while processing though. ;-)

I agree wholeheartedly with you on the sensor sizes with these zoom cameras. I, too, am looking for greater speed for low light (as well as RAW), and right now the best speeds only reside on the dSLR side of the market. That's why I'm aspiring to the Canon 40D or possibly the 50D, but that will be several months in the future because the lenses will force me to the poor house!

In the meantime, for the price, I am quite satisfied with the SX10 IS - in fact I think it's fair to say that my expectations of it have been exceeded.

Canon Powershot SX10 IS
Canon 40D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 34  Next