Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Ballet Photo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:05 pm 
here's a shot I took at a Ballet Premiere.I shot for about 15 min until someone came to tell me there were no cameras allowed.I was starting to get used to the low light and no flash but it's tricky to get a good shot.I used ISO400,800(tons of noise :? )and a quick shutter speed to freeze the action.Allso used the manual focus(could't get the auto focus to work for me)set to the distance between the camera and the scene.Camera mode TV with +2 EV.

What should I do to get by this situation?What meterig should I set the camera to?

Post editing: 10min messing with the background noise in CS4.The faces are still full of noise

Last edited by BDS on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:44 pm 
Hi Gordon,

I want to thank you for your great review and tutorial videos. They are helping me understand a great deal about digital cameras and photography techniques. :D

After watching several review videos and reading reviews, I pretty much decided on buying a Canon Powershot SX10 IS.

I know it isn't a DSLR camera, but do you think I could get similar results as described in your tutorials (the ones mentioned below) with an SX10 IS ?

- DSLR Tips Workshop: How to take portraits with blurred backgrounds
- How to brighten your photos
- How to blur action shots for speed

Thank you in advance for your help.

Isabelle

Last edited by Isabelle on Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Wondering about filters
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:25 pm 
Well SX10 crew, my adapter from Lensmate is on its way!

Now I've been looking for filters, and in another forum someone recommended me against buying 58mm. My intention is to jump to DSLR somewhen in the not-too-distant future, and apparently 58mm is being used less and less... since I'd intend not to buy another set of filters, does anyone have a recommendation on a versatile filter size? 67mm? 77mm?

As soon as I get the adapter I'll go to some local store to test if adding another adapter to the adapter (for example a 58-to-67mm ring) and a large filter causes vignetting or some problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Isabelle, welcome on-board!

The SX10 IS may have aperture priority, but like most compacts / superzooms, it has a relatively small sensor and short actual focal length - this means the blurred background effect is much harder to achieve than a DSLR. You can see an example in my SX10 IS gallery. You really need to stand back and zoom in a LOT to get the effect.

But yes, the other workshops apply!

I'll throw this open to the SX10 IS owners here - show us your examples of photos with a small depth-of-field, such as portraits with blurred backgrounds...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:51 pm 
This is the only shot where i've managed to get some depth of field effect, it was hand held at 20x.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:56 pm 
They've got pretty good DOF effects, what settings did you use? the EXIF has been stripped from the images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:23 pm 
very good examples ROY.I have one on the previous page .
I used manual focus besides aperture adjustments to help get that effect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:01 pm 
MaDMaXX wrote:
They've got pretty good DOF effects, what settings did you use? the EXIF has been stripped from the images.

These are just the default views on picasa. You can all see the EXIF there, by clicking on a button on the right. You can also download bigger (1024/768) versions from there if you wish. I'm glad you guys liked it, but I'd like to see your works too. Do share.

antipropho wrote:
very good examples ROY.I have one on the previous page .
I used manual focus besides aperture adjustments to help get that effect

I use the MF only when AF seems to have trouble. Then also I only use it to *assist* the AF to get it right on the next attempt. And I only use the *single* AF mode - not continuous, and *shoot only* IS when not on tripod. Also, I use spot metering, and AE lock on high contrast areas to avoid clipping highlights. But the most important thing to consider for shallow DOF is the focus area. Make it as small as possible. Then get close to the subject and make sure the background is very far from the subject. For DSLR lenses, lowest f number would be the ideal choise, but here we need to use more zoom to blur the background. Even in Tv mode, the f-number is usually minimal. So you don't necessarily need to use Av mode, unless there are other reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:28 pm 
Here's a big one, with Exif. If it is bigger than your screen, then in opera click "fit to width" on th right of status bar, or in firefox reduce the page magnification. Don't know about IE...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:39 pm 
Ahh yes, just been taking more pics of a project i'm on, it's considerably easier to get the DOF with macro modes ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

They're all great examples, but are generally macro shots - does anyone have any portraits with blurred backgrounds with the SX10 IS?

Post subject: Canon SX10IS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:51 pm 
Hi guys
I,ve just joined camera labs forum. What a great site full of help and advice, a credit to the team and the forum members. After reading reviews and forum blogs I have decided to purchase a canon SX10 IS hopfully the right choice. I understand there is no Raw function with this camera, Is the option of Raw somthing I need to have? The learning curve for SX10 IS may be long but I'm hoping for a good result eventually. I am limited in my knowledge of photography its a new adventure so I'm going to need a lot of help to get the show on the road. I enjoy being out and about, walking etc, so the idea is to take lots of pictures to record some of the stunning seenery on my travel's and create an interesting hobby. Many thanks to Gordon for his responce to my emails it is much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi JG, welcome on-board!

If you want RAW, then the SX1 IS would have been the model to go for, but this capability won't be added to the SX1 IS for a couple of weeks yet, so we don't know how much difference it will really make in practice. RAW should theoretically let you get the best from your camera, but in some instances, the in-camera JPEGs come pretty close.

So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

PS - many of the tutorials at www.dslrtips.com apply to the SX10 IS if you fancy a peek!

Post subject: SX10
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:09 am 
Hi, just found this place. i have owned the SX10 since october. all i can say is WOW! this camera outshines my old S3. i really like the super zoom. i'm still discovering new features.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 34  Next