Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, just a quick note to let you know we've published our review of the Canon PowerShot SX10 IS super-zoom, here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... t_SX10_IS/

I'm editing the video at the moment, and it should be ready in the next 24 hours...

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Thank you so much
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:06 pm 
Hi Gonrdon,

Thanks for this review. I was waiting for this for quite a long time now.
I am a new to photography and wanted to buy my first digital camera.
I have done lot of research and a very fond of your website and camera review style. The video is a very good help to understand many things in one go, which many a sites don't offer.

Thanks for your great effort, it will be great learning here.

Looking forward for the video on this product, than I will buy Canon SX 10IS

Thanks,
RD :D

Post subject: Sorry
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:08 pm 
Sorry for mistyped spelling of your name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:43 pm 
Hi Gordon,

Super thx for the review and indeed the Canon looks like big competition for the Panasonic.
A big mistake by Canon not to implement the HD video which will turn alot of buyers down.
Is there actually good software to remove that fringing?
regards,

Luke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:39 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, a quick update to let you know the video tour for the SX10 IS is now ready for your viewing enjoyment!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... view.shtml

PS - Luke, there are various tricks you can do to digitally reduce the effect of fringing, although it would be much easier if A, it had RAW files, and B, if Canon's DPP software offered its lens corrections on compacts.

In the absence of tools to do it, I often just isolate the specific colour of the fringing and desaturate it in photoshop.

If it's any consolation though, the fringing isn't that bad on the SX10 IS - it's just that it's virtually absent on the FZ28.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:28 pm 
A very comprehensive review with lots of comparisons to the Panasonic FZ28 and the astonishing results compared with the DSLR Canon EOS 450D / XSi
Thank you Gordon for including a DSLR in the comparison, I always assumed the a DLSR gives you a much better and sharper image. I see the difference what kicks above ISO 100 but at ISO 100 the SX10 just looks better.
The last picture of the outdoor result page shows how much detail you get with the SX0 against the FZ28. I zoomed both to 2x and you can see the shingles on the roof with the Canon while the Panasonic just smears. Do you think the good purple fringe reduction might unsharpen the Panasonic picture?

As a final thought, I would like to see a comparison in low light focusing when the focus assist lamp kicks in (shot once with a small Sony where the orange led could throw a beam you could focus with for 5 meters) and maybe a how to tweak the settings (ef-1/3 sharpen *2 contrast-1 etc) for optimized quality for all us dummies out here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gran Canaria, thanks!

As you suspect, the FZ28 is removing fringing digitally on its JPEGs, as they're present on its RAW files to approximately the same extent as the SX10 IS - certainly on that mountain ridge crop anyway - you'll see some more comparisons on my forthcoming FZ28 review...

I'm afraid my SX10 IS has now been returned to Canon though, so I'm unable to do any further tests with it...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:57 am 
Yes thanks for the review found it real helpful and the best i've read yet.
Waiting with interest on the SX1 comparison to decide which one to grab.

Thanks also Joe ,been following your blog along for a week or so picking up info also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:37 pm 
And a thank you from me for this review, particularly the video portion.

I've been looking at this or the SX1 since they were announced, and i was still surprised when i saw the zoom range and how good the IS was.

Most of all though, was the video, i've held off for this because i want essentially two in one camera and i think this, or hopefully the SX1 when i see the review, will be the camera to get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:05 am 
Site Admin

Thanks everyone, glad you're finding it useful!

I hope to have the FZ28 review completed soon, and I'll do the SX1 IS as soon as it comes out over here - probably sometime mid-December...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:54 am 
As it seems the advantage of the bigger screen size on the SX1 versus the SX10 is going to be debatable re any advantage at all i decided to grab the SX10 instead of waiting.
Some unedited pic's from a noob with the SX10 here if its of use to anyone.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgfishing/SX10Photos#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:41 am 
I actually think they're quire good, yet again i'm seriously impressed by the zoom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, in case you're interested, we've just posted our Panasonic FZ28 review, here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... _DMC_FZ28/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:37 pm 
/me sits and waits for the video portion ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Come on MaDMaXX, don't tell me the 10,000 or so words I've been slaving over for the past couple of weeks were in vain?!

Besides, you'll be waiting a few days for the video - I don't expetc to complete it until thr end of the week...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next