Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:07 am 

i will, the amazon site says oct 15 delivery, that's almost 2 months away...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:23 am 

Gordon, The reason Canon doesn't make the G9 with a flip is that, the A650, which uses the same chip and lens and also offers similar features comes with a flip.

By the way, what's up with the A650? Same chip, same lens as the G9, shouldn't mean that it would provide the same exact image quality at a much cheaper price?

Anyway, I think the A650 is the camera you were hoping G9 would be, minus the hot shoe... :)

As for me, I think G9, or better yet G7-II is a winner. S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:17 am 
Site Admin

Weeeell, the A650 may have a flip out screen, but it's only 173K pixels...

I wonder why they can't (or won't) do a 230k 2.5 / 3in flip out screen? That would be nice...

But yep, the lens and sensor appear to be the same on the G9 and A650, which should be interesting. So it looks like RAW, hotshoe and 3in 230k screen on the G9 versus the flip-out 2.5in 170k screen and cheaper price of the A650...

I see a head to head feature!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:01 am 

this is certainly a good buy for those who are fans of flip outs. for a 100 bucks less, you get basically the same camera with a better grip, AAs, and similar control plus a flip, granted it's not the best res flip out there, but still. cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:47 am 
I've been reading a lot on the web about people complaining that the higher MP count will increase noise. This seems to be one of the major complaints with the camera.

If I would set my future G9 to take images in a lower resolution than the 12 MP, say 10 or 8 MP, would that yield better results? Better results meaning less noise, and perhaps better IQ than the G7 because of the slightly larger sensor. Or would it still be noisy because of some 12MP-default-sensor-and-then-downconverted-thing.

I'm not sure how these things work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Hi SweHanzon, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Digital cameras can increase their sensitivity and dynamic rnage by reducing the resolution and effectively traeting, say, 4 pixels as one. This is called pixel binning and is already used by mnay compacts with their highest sensitivity modes.

Trouble is, you need to drop resolution a lot to double-up on pixels. Lets take the G9 as an exmaple with 4000 x 3000 pixels. If you were to use four pixels for each spot, you'd be looking at reducing the resolution to 2000 x 1500 pixels, or about 3 megapixels in total! That's a big drop!

Obviously you could go for an inbetween resolution, but then the camera would need to do some very clever processing and interpolation, which may not look great.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:23 pm 
Thank you very much, Gordon. That's some great info!

I'll contemplate buying the G9 some more. 2000x1500 is still enough to use for HD video work so that's a good thing. I'm looking forward to your review on the camera. I like them alot!