Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:01 pm 
Help! I just upgraded from a Rebel XT to an XTi and really am not sorry I did. The XTi is great. However, in reading the fine print in the specifications I noticed the "working temperature range" is given as 32 - 104 degrees. I emailed Canon tech support and they gave the bogus answer: "We cannot predict the results of using the camera below 32 degrees." Surely in the Northern US they don't expect us to put the camera away from December thru March. Can any one give me some guidelines for using the XTi in cold weather? I'm a nature/landscape photographer and frequently go out early in the morning when temps are below freezing. Has anyone used their XT below 32 degrees? (Last winter I didn't take the XT out. I was using my old Nikon FA, which I've taken winter camping many times.)

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Post subject: Cool camera
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:47 pm 

Floyd,

In my youth (a long time ago) I seem to remember similar strictures from Olympus about their OM2. I think they even offered a service to "winterise" the camera.

The electronics should be unaffected and you may even get slightly lower noise from the sensor. The issues revolve around lubricants becoming more viscous and, at a guess, the freezing of any water that may have been adsorbed.

All of the above won't stop me taking my EOS 400D into the high Alps this winter where I would be surprised if it didn't cope. Thanks to your flagging the issue I will, however, take the opportunity for lots of stops in the mountain restaurants to help keep the camera warm :wink:

Bob.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:56 pm 
Hi guys.
Dont worry. They write this strange thing just to cover them selves.
I living in the North of Norway and sometimes I operate my 5D in temp. belowe -20'C and it works good. Because I photograph the Northen Lights wintertime, the working temperature is ofte belowe -5 to -10 'C.
My earlier cameras was 300d/Rebel, 20D and now I have a 5D and I have never have some problem with them in cold temperature. Well, there was one time we was out for 5 hours in -17'C. The camera become a bit slow at the end.
I have always used BP-511A battery, not BP-511. 511A has 1390mAh and this is actually a big differense from 511's less mAh.
There are some small triks you have to remember to make your low-temp photographing sucessful:
- Bring your battery in your pocket to keep it warm. Every time you stop photographing, remove the battery from the camera and put it in your pocket. always. even for small breakes
- Bring extra battery!!
- But, if you want to keep the battery in your camera all the time, remember to switch off the camera. Dont leave it in standby mode. Every small mAh counts in this conditions :)
- After you've taken your camera outdoor, keep it there until your're finished or keep in in you camerabag. Do not bring the camera indoor again for a short time because of the dew and moisture.
- Always put your camera in the bag before taken it indoor after your photo session. This allow the camera to be heated up slowly again.
Canon is the most sold cameratype in Norway and I dont think the average temp is over 10'C in this country, year over.

Good luck.

K.S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:04 pm 
Neptun,
Awesome advice on cold weather photography - thanks!

You mention reduced battery life - can you give us an idea of how long your battery typically lasts under these conditions when shooting the northern lights?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:27 pm 
Hi again.
My pleasure, Papa L.

Well, normally I use one to two of the 511A battery during a northern lights session. Its hard to tell exactly how long a battery last. Its depend on so many thing. How much I review the pictures, if I remember to always put the battery in my pocket while not shooting and that sort of things influence on the "batterylife". But normally I'm outdoors for 4-5 hours, more or less, in temp around -5 to- 10'C, and I've never needed the third battery who's always with me as well.
I also boost the battery when I charge them. That means, when the battery is fully charged, i remove it from the charger for 10-15 minutes and the out it on again for a last "boost". It seems to help. I've tested this on my sons RC cars battery and it defently helps there :)

K.S
Tromsø, Norway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:11 am 
Hey Neptun,
Thanks for sharing your experiences and for the great advice. I have another question... I’m interested in the 5D compared to a cropped sensor body - did you notice much benefit when you upgraded to the 5D?

PS northern lights photos on your website are just awesome - really blew me away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:59 pm 
Hey, this post helped a ton for me!! :D

I am also an inhabitant of the sometimes/most of the time freezing country in northern Europe, and with my very newly purchased (yesterday) 400D, this was one of my biggest worries, since I am a complete beginner when it comes to SLR photography, and well, I will be learning in sub zero temperatures. Only taking pictures inside until March would have been a COMPLETE drag..

Tusen takk :wink:

and thanks for a briliant web site, it contains a ton of very useful info :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:39 am 
Papa L wrote:
Hey Neptun,
Thanks for sharing your experiences and for the great advice. I have another question... I’m interested in the 5D compared to a cropped sensor body - did you notice much benefit when you upgraded to the 5D?

PS northern lights photos on your website are just awesome - really blew me away!

The biggest benefit from 20D, who I upgraded from, was the much better viewfinder, better and bigger display, the noiselevel and the picture quality. The 5D is not so fast, but it doesnt matter for me, otherwise I would probably bought the 1D Mk II.
Cameralabs has also a great review on this one.

I'm glad you like my Northern light photos. Thanks.

KS