Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:16 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, Sigma announced the successors to its SD14 and DP1 cameras today: the SD15 and DP2.

We'll publish updates direct from Sigma as soon as they update their site.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:55 am 

Hi folks,

Still no update to the Sigma USA web-site but from Sigma Japan we have:

Sigma DP2

Sigma announces the development of a 14 megapixel high definition digital camera, packing the full spec of a DSLR into the body of a compact camera.

The Sigma Corporation (COO: Kazuto Yamaki) is pleased to announce the new Sigma DP2 compact digital camera featuring a 14 megapixel FOVEON X3 direct image sensor (2,652 × 1,768 × 3 layers) as used in the Sigma SD14 digital SLR.
    Sigma introduced the DP1 with a direct image sensor as used in the Sigma SD14 digital SLR to the market in March 2008 as a “unique, groundbreaking, compact digital camera with all the power of a digital SLR”. The multi award winning DP1 has established strong support from a wide range of photographers both amateur and professional. Building on this success, the DP2 is equipped with a 24.2mm F2.8 lens, equivalent to 41mm on a 35mm SLR camera, for increasing creative possibilities and superior image quality, improving handling and performance.

This product is showcased at Photokina 2008 in Koln, Germany.

Sigma DP15

Sigma announce the development of the SD15, a 14 megapixel (2,652x1,768x3 layers) Digital SLR camera.

The Sigma Corporation (COO: Kazuto Yamaki) is pleased to announce the new SIGMA SD15 digital SLR camera. This camera is the latest model in Sigma’s digital SLR camera SD series, powered by the 14 megapixel Foveon X3 direct-image-sensor it can capture all primary RGB colors at each and every pixel location arranged in three layers. The developing SD15 incorporates the “TRUE II” new image processing engine. It provides high resolution power and reproduces high definition images rich in gradation and impressive three-dimensional detail. Incorporation of the large 3.0 inch LCD monitor and improved processing speed provide ease of operation of the camera.

This product is showcased at Photokina 2008 in Koln, Germany.

Development of the SD15

Since October 2002, Sigma has introduced three digital SLR cameras, the SD9, SD10 and SD14 to the market. In March 2008 Sigma also introduced a high-end compact digital camera, the DP1 which uses the same large image sensor as is featured in Sigma’s digital SLR cameras. They have established a strong following from a wide range of photographers, both amateur and professional. Photographers expressed a desire to incorporate the image processing engine “TRUE”, which is used in the DP1, into a digital SLR camera. In order to meet this demand, the SD15, with high resolution direct image sensor, has been designed around the new “TRUE II” image processing engine. This combination delivers superior image quality as well as improved processing speed, operation and performance.
Click on the pictures to see the original source of the text above. In particular, there's a full specification sheet for the DP2.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Caleb in answer to your post on the locked thread, I believe the DP2 is essentially identical to the DP1 other than its focal length and focal ratio, so I won't be hurrying to review it any time soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:25 am 

If the SD15 is a step in the right direction, I might end up forsaking my Nikon and get me this Foveon-based camera. Even if I will then only be able to use Sigma lenses - that's how intrigued and impressed I am with the potential of this sensor.

Having looked at literally thousands of images taken with the Foveon sensor, I have come to believe that there is a certain quality that is well-nigh impossible to replicate with a CMOS or a CCD sensor.

A certain three-dimensionality introduced by it's ability to capture such color-detail. In particular portraits really stand out to me...the texture and color of skin - under the right conditions - are just WOW to my eyes.

Really hoping for this camera!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:59 am 

I wish Sigma would stop marketing the camera as a 14mp model. The 3x extrapolation basically destroys the perfect sharpness of the Foveon sensor. It's too bad that people demand more MP forcing Sigma to do this. Honestly, I wouldn't buy one but I'm sure there are lots of people who don't need more than 4MP but choose not to get it for the sole reason of 4 being less than "the other cameras".

That's an interesting control layout on the back of the SD15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:35 am 

Does the Sigma actually output a 14mp file? I thought it was only described as such for comparison, but still contained native pixels. I'd blame every other camera manufacturer anyway, as I consider the true actual MP of them should be around 1/3 to 1/4 the output. Thank you bayer pattern. i.e. 1R + 1G + 1B = 1 pixel, not 3. (I know there is more G, but that's minor point...)

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:03 am 

I think it does in JPEG, not too sure about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:11 am 

If the SD15 is anything like the current SD14, the pixel-dimensions of the produced JPEG is somewhere between 4-5 MP. But the RAW file should contain a lot more image-data - essentially nuances of color and light. This in turn may give noticeable freedom of options to tweak the image.

Personally I have no issue with that since - for most purposes - that is plenty for decent-sized prints.

If we by "sharpness" refer mostly to edge-definition, it's possible that the lower MP "suffers" a bit on account of the lower MP. On the other hand - when the image plays to the Foveon's strength - there is a lot of detail.

When I look at images @ 1920 X 1200 pixels (just over 2 MP) on my 24-inch monitor, I don't see anything noticeable in terms of sharpness. Mind you, I'm looking at the "good" pictures and I'm sure it might take a little more work and tweaking to make them. However, skin-tones and colorspaces exhibit a very attractive texture-detail and the colors themselves are just yummy to my eyes. And I'm pretty spoiled with my Nikon D40..lol.

I think that it's probably fair to say - judging from the SD14 - that a Foveon camera might not be a versatile as similar-priced CMOS cameras. Noise @ higher ISO and apparently white-balance in mixed lighting is a place where the Foveon requires a little more manual intervention it seems.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's a "special purpose" camera, but it almost is. When shooting to it's strengths I'm personally hard pressed to see anything that can match it - but that is of course a matter of taste.

Cheers :-)