Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:59 pm 
I am looking to upgrade my kit lens on my 350D, and am considereing these two lenses...obviously the Sigma give me some wide angle, whereas the Canon has a zoom advantage. I am looking for the best quality, which will result in the better images. I will sacrafice wide angle or zoom for better photos.

Two quick questions, what is the difference between USM and HSM? Is HSM just Sigma's nomanclature for the autofocus motor which is USM in Canons? Also, I found this review:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/319-sigma-af-18-125mm-f35-56-dc-test-report--review

But this review doesnt mention the OS or HSM on the lens I found here:

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=44590

Are the the same lens? Is the one with OS and HSM an upgraded lens? If they are the same lens, I think that will push me towards the Canon.

Anyway, both lenses have IS, which is one feature I am looking for. The Sigma comes with a lense hood, the Canon does not. The Canon has a larger filter size, is this good (it means more expensive filters tho)? Both are $400 USD.

Has anyone had experience with either of these lenses? I saw some posts on the Canon, and it seems to be a rather solid lens to me...what are your thoughts? I am planing a trip to Denver next week and hopefully will have one of these two lenses with me and will be able to post pics and a review when I get back =] Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:09 am 
Anyone? Well, I haven't bought a new lens, instead I just got this:

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm

which is working out very nicely, has just enough room for my camera and gear, and has a nice space above for other items that I want to carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:16 pm 
I was debating between these lenses for my 400D. The Sigma wasn't very sharp and had some problems with build quality. So I bought the 28-135mm Canon. It's well built, got IS and USM. It's heavier than the kit lens, but the build quality is much better.

The only bad thing is that's it's not particulary wide :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:57 pm 
Thanks, yeah the wide angle is something I would miss, but then I guess that will give me an excuse to buy the 10-22mm lens a little bit later =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:55 pm 
Excellent point, one of my main reasons, buy a good standard zoom, then later buy an excellent wide angle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:15 pm 
The Sigma OWNS the Canon lens in terms of optical quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:11 pm 
Really? I haven't seen any reviews or results of the Sigma, but then, I haven't been looking recently...just got back from a trip and my Canon kit 18-55mm lens broke..."Error 01"...the warrenty is just up (14 months old) and I am trying to get the paperwork since my credit card company doubles manufactures warrenties...