Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:39 am 
Hello.
Does anyone have this lens? There's not that much talking about it anywhere :/ And it's attractive to me, as i'd never be able to afford the Sony one.

Or has anyone tried it, got a link for a good review or even a gallery? Any help much apprecieated.

0eyvind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:04 pm 
Hello 0eyvind

I've just ordered this lens after about 3 months of trying to decide which lens to add to my kit (it was a tough decision). I'm going for it as I photograph various sports and in the UK a fast aperture helps as the Sun shines rarely, even in the summer. Also it complements my 28-70 F2.8 Sigma lens, which I use on a Canon 400D. I intend to sell one of my older lenses and get the 2x converter to give me a 400mm f5.6 reach.

What types of photography are you primarily interested in? I'll obviously let you know what I think of the lens as soon as its delivered and I've put it into action

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:18 pm 

A reliable review can be found here for the Sigma and there for the Sony..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:50 pm 
Halcyon71 wrote:
What types of photography are you primarily interested in? I'll obviously let you know what I think of the lens as soon as its delivered and I've put it into action

Well, at the moment i'm in to really anything. But i've trying to shoot some soccer in the park (just to try it out) and animals in the zoo and in another park, and 70mm just isn't enough. And the lens would be great to portrait famly and friends, and not be like in their face. So they wouldn't notice i was photographing them. Imo that's when most great portraits is shot.
Thanks, hope you'll enjoy it. Where did you order it from?

And thanks to you Thomas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:39 am 
Football is one of my main subjects, as both my children play. In the past I've used a 28-300mm f3.5/6.3

The 300mm reach is nice, but with a gloomy winter sky the 6.3 aperture often leads to too slow shutter speeds. As its only junior football, 200mm is in most cases long enough, so hopefully the f2.8 will give me the speed I need.

Portraits was also a big thing for me. I'm looking to get an Interfit Lighting Kit next and I have read elsewhere that this lens is good for portraits. As my children are often the subject of my candid shots, the extra focal length keeps me far enough away that they aren't aware they're being photographed. I agree with you, my favourite shots are often when the subject is unaware of the camera.

Anyway, the lens was delivered yesterday (exciting) but so far I've just taken a few snapshots of the pets (wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to go out to work)

For what its worth my first impressions are these;

This is a substantial lens. Weighty and solid, I'd already got into the habit of using my monpod and I think this will be a necessity when shooting sports action.

A good pouch, new pinch style lens cap and petal hood mean that accessory wise you get a good deal.

This is my first proper experience of a hyper/ultrasonic lens. The AF is fast and very quiet compared to what I have currently.

My preliminary tests show that as you might expect, the 2.8 is a little soft, f4.0 is better and f5.6 is truly sharp. The Macro facility adds some versatility which is a bonus, even though it's 1:3.5 rather than a true 1:1.

How this lens compares to the Canon is I'm sure relative. For me, I couldn't afford the extra £200 or so for the Canon. One day, maybe the IS version will be within my reach, but for now this suits my budget and requirements. Personally my photography is at a stage where I have just bought my first 'serious' lens. I'm trying to develop my skills and technique before spending over £1000 on a lens or a new camera body. If I get to a higher level where more serious investment is needed then I'll resell and upgrade. I suspect that just because I might spend lots of money on the best kit, I won't necessarily become a good photographer.

I'll get the opportunity to do some proper test shots this weekend (2 kids football matches and an adult cricket match). I'll try to post some examples early next week

By the way, I bought it from OneStop Digital. This is the second lens I've purchased from them and it came in 3 working days via Fedex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:26 pm 
Good to know that you enjoy it. I agree with you, in every way - really. It could be me writing that (Although wouldn't be that sophisticated and informative :p). I'm looking forward to hear more about and see some examples. 0eyvind