Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:03 am 

Hi. I am quite new to photography and discovered this awesome site. I just bought a canon 450d not long ago and coupled that with canon's 17-55mm IS USM lens. I am however in the middle of searching for a mid-tele lens that is light enough to carry on trips. I have narrowed my search down to two lens that fit the budget quite nicely:

Sigma APO 50-150mm f/2.8 MK II EX DC HSM
and
Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX 50-135mm

I have searched the internet for results but have not been able to find any answers. Both lens are pricely identically. Sigma has the advantage of having an HSM motor and 15mm reach at the tele end(which isnt much) but Tokina has a better construction and built in tripod mount. I am quite torn between these two since not many people have had the oppurtunity to review both lens. Canon does not have much to offer at this focal range other than the aging: Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 USM IS. This lens however does offer Canon's IS (but only 2 stops) but isn't quite as fast as the other two @ F2.8. I dont think the two stop IS for the canon lens @ F3.5-5.6 really makes up for the F2.8. The canon is however cheaper of the three but doesnt come with a lens hood.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:17 am 

Hello quanger, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
Looky here for the Sigma.
And there for the Tokina.
The Sigma has the better resolution figures.
Watch out! Both manufacturers have had quality variations in the past. Only buy at a shop where you can give the lens back without a prohibitive restocking fee :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:17 pm 

Yes the back focusing problems seems to be an issue. What ever happened to quality control? Better yet...Japanese QC. Anyways, i think I will just save up a bit more and pick up the tried and tested Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS lens. Its going to be a pretty penny but in the long run I might save money by not upgrading. Anyone agree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:19 pm 

Well...
- the 70-200 doesn't give you macro capabilities :(
- it's much larger :(
- it's much heavier :(
- it costs much more :(
- it has IS :D
- it is a zoom :D
Your call!