Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:42 am 
Hey guys im hunting for a good telephoto lens and im thinking strongly about getting the tamron 200-500mm lens.. i read a review on it at photo.net and it is very sharp for a zoom. I think im going to get it.. i realize there is no stabilization but oh well.. im not ready to pay like 3000 for a lens.. im on a budget!!

Also this lens looks super cool when extended its like 3 feet long fully extended and with lens hood.

Post subject: I am on the same boat..
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:14 pm 

Hi emp93,

I am looking for what you have been hunting, actually there are 3 more lenses available as telephoto zooms other than the Tamron 200-500mm.

1. Sigma 170-500mm f/5-6.3
2. Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 OS
3. Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OS

The option 2 and 3 are very recently launched by Sigma and has Optical Stabilization which by the way gives you the freedom to work at dawn or dusk times at relatively low shutter speeds than you can get it on Tamron 200-500mm or the Sigma 170-500mm.

If you have already made a decision and purchased any of it then please do write back to me about your experiences.

My Site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:05 pm 

You've certainly seen my review here?!
Seems like Klaus Schroiff got a hand-selected exemplar from Tamron Germany for his test. His first copy wasn't good either.
So maybe another case of good design but shame on the QC (=quality control) :?