Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Dudeskis!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:39 pm 
Ha-ha, Sigma have created something more exclusive than a Leica! :lol: Which might be reason enough to want one... Looking at the output it does seem like a very nice piece of kit, but I think only for the hard-core enthusiast. I'd certainly have to have a lot of disposable income to want to buy one, as 16.6mm f/4 might be somewhat limiting. However, it's a good pathfinder. I'll stick to the 400D in the meantime. Come the DP2, maybe it'll have a zoom lens (or even a lens mount?) and then it'd be a pretty dangerous contender for the other high-end compacts.

Addendum. I keep looking at it and the pictures and for some reason now I really want one. Think about it this way. The DP1 is, if nothing else, a marketing coup: a unique product that's stimulated a lot of talk. And Sigma already have an extensive (cross-platform) lens line up. If they were to produce, say, a lower-end Foveon-based SLR body...

Post subject: Pixel stuffing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:11 pm 
Well, this time next year I expect the Canon 'G10' might be available with a larger (perhaps not quite APSC size) CMOS sensor. I hope Canon will also decide to move away from delibrately retro (rangefinder style) approach and more to a SLR like, responsive user interface, like a number of the latest Ricoh models exhibit. Sigma really need to seriously consider outsourcing camera body, and user interface design to say, Canon, or Ricoh, too.
After all, Fujifilm have never tried to (re)design SLRs from scratch, they have always utilized Nikon bodies for their DSLR models.
I believe the main technical obstacle preventing CMOS sensor compacts is not being able to squeeze 12 megapixels, or more, into CMOS sensors that are smaller than APSC in size. Look at the excellent sensor used in the Canon HV-30 HD camcorder, it can only put out a maximum of 3 megapixels in still-image size.
Therefore, in the interests of costs, the compacteness of body and lenses, the first CMOS sensor compacts may be limited to, say, eight megapixels or less.
It may be useful to keep a close eye on what kind of sensors are going into the latest camera phones to see what might be able to be achieved for the next generation of low noise, higher dynamic range compacts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:00 am 
It has been a huge disappointment to me that the DP1 has turned out to have so many problems. For those who don't understand the attraction of a camera like this, it is for "pixel peepers" who want clean, noise-free photos when viewed at 100%. Indeed, at ISOs 100 and 200 when shooting in RAW, this camera produces the best photos I have ever seen (which makes me wonder, Gordon, why you took the sample images as JPGs). However, the slow speed of the camera, the poor low-light performance, and the lack of a true auto mode has ruined this camera even for me.

I do hope that the other manufacturers get the message and make a compact with a larger, better sensor.

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Caleb, our convention here is to test like against like, so it was JPEGs. It would be unfair to have shot with the DP1 exclusively in RAW when I was comparing it against JPEGs from other cameras. But I did include more RAW crops on our outdoor resolution page than I would do normally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:09 am 
Was just looking at some sample images from the DP1 here and the three-dimensionality of the images is really amazing, they truly look like they are popping out of the screen. One thing that bothers me is "over-sharpened" look of the pictures with straight lines. Anybody else notice this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:21 am 
I agree that the three-dimensionality of RAW DP1 photos is wonderful. That was why I was sorry that the camera had so many operational shortcomings. No other camera may ever produce such good, three-dimensional images. That's because of the Bayer technology which is used in all other cameras, and also because Bayer sensors MUST have an antialiasing filter, which blurs all the images they produce. If Foveon would up the resolution of their sensors to just 6 MP, and if Sigma would fix the operational flaws in its cameras, they would be the best cameras in the world.

Oh, and about the problem with straight lines that you mentioned, I think you are referring to the stepped quality of the lines, right? If so, that is a result of digital technology in which the pixels in a sensor are lined up in perfect rows. There's no way to avoid that. The antialiasing filter of Bayer-sensor cameras removes some of the stepped quality, but at the expense of image sharpness. It's one of the few downsides to the Foveon sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:34 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Caleb, our convention here is to test like against like, so it was JPEGs. It would be unfair to have shot with the DP1 exclusively in RAW when I was comparing it against JPEGs from other cameras. But I did include more RAW crops on our outdoor resolution page than I would do normally.
Gordon, I agree with the need to test 'like against like'. However, in my opinion, the DP1's claims to fame are its sensor size relative to other compact cameras, and corresponding picture quality when shooting RAW. Would a comparison of the RAW capabilities of the Sigma DP1, Canon EOS 450D / XSi, and Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500, result in different test results?