Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:19 am 
Does anyone have any experience with Tokina lenses? I was in my local camera shop today looking at wide angle lenses (sigma 10-20mm and nikon 12-24). The guy at the shop suggested I hold on for the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, which they're getting in soon. I've never used a Tokina lens. Ken Rockwell had a glowing review of the 11-16mm but I've been hesitant to stray from Nikon. Any comments on Tokina? Or specifically this lens, if anyone has any experience with.

Welly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:46 am 
I hear that the 14-24 is the best wide angle lens there is today (not taking into account the price of course), if you got that kind of cash to spend, do it! The lens is pretty outstanding i must say, i was handling this lens on D300 last week (my mates older brother has this combo) and i was really impressed with it!

But let me tell you the lens is very bulky! Its huge

I heard some pretty good things about the Sigma, and it seems to be a very good lens for the cash you spend (kind like the 55-200mm so to speak).

I have realized that when it comes to lenses you always find yourself in a catch 22 so to speak...

Last edited by alex168 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:03 am 
Alex, the 14-24mm Nikkor is by far the best dedicated wide zoom that Nikon offer. Once you see it wide open at 14mm on a D3, you'll realise how sharp and beautiful the IQ on that lens is. The 12-24 is plagued by an inferior build quality for the price point and the Sigma 10-20 and Tokina 11-16 are both more solid to handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:35 am 
I m sorry, made a typing mistake there i meant the 14-24 not the 12-24 they are two very different glasses, to many 4 and 2 in that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:41 pm 
The Tokina seems to be getting favourable reviews all over the internets and looks to be within my price range. Maybe something for next month. I don't suppose the 2mm between the 16mm of the Tokina and the 18mm of my 18-200mm should be a real loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:07 pm 
This lens has my very interest! Does someone owns it already and knows more about its in and outs?

Kind regards,

ngc94227

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:13 pm 
Fairly old thread :lol:

Well, I've heard nothing but great things regarding the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8.

From what I've read, it's a very well-balanced lens with great sharpness and performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:54 pm 
I've read that is the best wide lens out there. I saw some tests,it's just beautiful. It's on my list,but it wouldn't be easy...my country kind of lacks Tokina products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:23 pm 
Well the only problem about most Tokina lenses, they have some bad chromatic abberation issues, and other than that, they look swell!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:17 am 
Do you know any authorized dealer is carrying this lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:20 am 
I have a pending order for this one since the 3rd... stock is out on this lens can't find it anywhere.

PhotoZone are also all over this glass, full Image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:34 am 
I have to say it is better than any other DX ultra wide, I mean, any. I hold off the other lens and waited two months to get mine. Here is a test shot,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcfishhk/2994855676/in/set-72157608585157355

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:11 pm 
Absolutely fantastic wide angle by all accounts... Will be making a purchase next week! :D

Stay tuned for some shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:03 pm 
Welly wrote:
The Tokina seems to be getting favourable reviews all over the internets and looks to be within my price range. Maybe something for next month. I don't suppose the 2mm between the 16mm of the Tokina and the 18mm of my 18-200mm should be a real loss.

You wont miss that range too much. I've used the DX 12-24mm Nikkor glass before, and when I did, I KNEW I'd be using it for very wide angle shots, nothing in the standard zoom range. The lens is pretty purpose driven... I could have really used the f2.8 aperture though, especially for indoor shots!

If you're just looking for something a bit wider than your standard 18mm, you could always consider the 16-85mm VR DX lens, which is sweet!