Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:05 am 
I'm just wondering, but does anyone think that I would be happier with the wider end of the 17-50 or the extra reach of the 28-75?

I want to hear some opinions on these lenses, as I am stuck in between the both of them. I'm looking for a decent portrait lens, and also something to replace my kit lens. I've heard many mixed reviews but just want to hear a few more.
I'm kind of price conscious, but I believe that I could save up for the 17-50mm f/2.8 if it's what's best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:31 pm 

See here vs there
One goes wider, the other is full-frame (and thus has less vignetting on a APS-C body). So you have to decide what's more important for you!

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:08 am 
i have a simmilar dillema.
Tamron 17-50 or Nikon 18-70 ?
Please, who has these lenses or tried adleast... wich is better ? i like the f2,8 from tamron. The barrel distorsion is greater at 18-70 than at 17-50 tamron.
wich is faster in focusing ? i want to get the lenses for Weddings and indoor events. Shooting in churcs... is difficult.. not enaugh light.. that's way i like so much the 17-50's F2,8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:22 am 

To get a feel of how the various focal lengths will appear check out this online Angle of View simulator. The page will take a while to load but once you have it you can always save the page (not the Bookmark) onto your computer for future reference.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:11 am 
ok, this is just about zoom. not about focusing speed, chromatic aberations, and other important stuff.
wich is better 18-70 nikon or 17-50 tamron ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:03 pm 

The Tamron 17-50 has extreme vignetting and CA but is quite sharp.
The Nikon 18-70 is much better color-corrected, but has not the same border-sharpness as the Tamron.
So, tough call :?

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:08 pm 
The 28-75 has a nicer focal range for portraits but if you want to fully replace the kit lens, then you may find the wider focal lengths to be missing. Perhaps have a look at the EXIF info of your shots and see what kinda focal lengths you use the most. Remember, 28mm is equivalent to 42mm on a 35mm camera as compared to the 27mm of the kit lens. That's a big difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:32 pm 
Sharpness is the most important factor to a lens like this...colors can be corrected in a RAW software with ease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:36 pm 
Bahhh!

I think I'm just going to go with the 28-75mm. If I don't get a great copy I'll just replace it. I'm not into many landscape shots anyhow and if I do feel like it, I could pull out my kit lens or try the 28mm on for size. Thanks for the help! And that link for the simulator was REALLY helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:31 pm 
ChickenFriedRyce wrote:
Bahhh!

I think I'm just going to go with the 28-75mm. If I don't get a great copy I'll just replace it. I'm not into many landscape shots anyhow and if I do feel like it, I could pull out my kit lens or try the 28mm on for size. Thanks for the help! And that link for the simulator was REALLY helpful.

Did you get this lens in the end, if so what do you think of it ? I am thinking about getting the 17-50 2.8 at he moment, not to replace the kit lens outright, more as a portrait lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:44 am 
Actually, I did not go for the lens. I am in the process of saving up for a 30D so purchasing it now would be no help. But, I did change my mind about the lenses and saw that the 17-50mm is much better. So once I get my 30D, the 17-50 is going to be my kit lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:44 pm 
I’ve recently purchased a EOS 40D, with the Tamron 17-50mm lens, and i must say – it works an absolute treat!! Superb quality, and fairly light weight compared to other lenses - making it one of the best general purpose lenses about (in my opinion). Plus the constant f/2.8 does wonders!

I will later be buying a lens in the spectrum of around 70-300mm for the telephoto side of it. 
Enjoy – as I certainly am!