Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:09 pm 
I'm strongly considering getting this lens, at my local camera store they are selling it for roughly $200-00.

I'm looking at getting into photographing insects, spiders and such. The specs for this lens tells me that it's a very good for that as it has the macro feature.

My main subject however is trains, how does this lens perform when shooting moving objects??

The thing is, I was also considering the Canon EFS55-250IS lens which would set me back about $400-00.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:20 pm 
Check out my flickr (link on sig) go to page 3 or 4 there are eagles flying around that were taken with this lens. that shot are not that great but that is my fault :oops: did not have the camera set right.

I am in portland right now so I will go down town and take shots of the line rail for you. it will go about 30mph.
Hope this helps.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:38 am 
Does this lens come with IS??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:09 am 
no :cry: :cry:
almost all of my shots with the lens are hand held.

sorry have not made it down to the trains yet with the lens. :oops:
I will get to it.

nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:23 am 
My concern is that without IS, the lens will shake a bit, do you get that problem??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:31 am 
I don't have that prob. I think it is because it of it being 16.2 OZ.
If I think I would have the problem I would get a mono and or trypod.

I like to shoot hand held but right now I have a bad left hand (my support hand) so I do have some shake. to help with it I prop up somewhere.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:03 am 
Could some please explain this to me "Max Mag. Ratio-- 1:2 at macro 300mm " what does the 1:2 to ration mean? would be intresting to knw

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:42 am 
Alex: not sure. I think that it means that the you can get in a lot closer by 2x. example would be ----- with out macro you would be say 10 inches away. with macro only 5 inches. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am 
1:2 means that the subject is reproduced at half the size on the focal plane, regardless of the size of the sensor or film used. For example, if a bug is 1cm long, a 0.5cm long image of the bug is projected onto the sensor.

1:2 isn't quite macro, but it is quite close. True macro is 1:1(life size) and I believe "micro" refers to magnifications of higher than 1:1. Achieving high reproduction ratios is what macro is all about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:19 am 
Ohh yeah that makes sense, thanks for filling in the gaps guy. Its always good to knw. Yeah logicaly thinking 1:1 should be macro because you want the object to be same size as in real life, but again this seems to be a more multi use lens wiht some macro incorperated into it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:49 pm 
graham... considering the cropping factor (1.5x, 1.6x and down to 2x) i guess this lens can be called a proper macro lens. don't know how many peoples can afford a FF camera body!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:25 pm 

HNV: 1:2 is 1:2 whether on a APS-C or a FX/FF-body!
The 1cm bug will always fill 0.5cm on the sensor with a 1:2 macro-lens. That this is 1/3 of a APS-C sensor hight or 1/5 of a FX/FF-sensor hight does not matter much as the real Q is about the pixel density of your sensor: A 24MPix FF-sensor will yield exactly the same result (counted in "pixels per bug" :wink: ) as a 10 MPix APS-C sensor :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:36 pm 
I agree, but how many here can afford a 24 MP FF sensor? a more real comparison u can make from a APS-C sensor and the affordable 5D FF sensor, wich has only 12.6 or so MP... so I believe that the cropping factor does make at least a slight difference here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:36 pm 
I too, am planning on replacing my Tamron 55-200mm with this one.. How is the bokeh? I would mainly be using this for portraits on a tripod, so no IS = no problem to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:56 pm 
2610ksj wrote:
I too, am planning on replacing my Tamron 55-200mm with this one.. How is the bokeh? I would mainly be using this for portraits on a tripod, so no IS = no problem to me.

I love this lens. I have had no problems with it. The bokeh it fine. I never really paid any attention to it really. If I were you, go down to you camera store and see if they will let you take some test shots with it.
If you goto my flickr link--on the 3 or 4 page there is a shot called "Love"
It was taken at 70mm. right now it is the only "portrait" shot I have with this lens.

On a side note-----How would you test for Bokeh :?: I have not a clue :oops: :? :)

Nicholas