Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:53 pm 
Well as i will be getting the 10-20mm and i will be shooting alot of landscape with it, i was wondernig about lenses...Photoj and myself had off topic discussion about this but i want to break it dow because i knw nothing about the filter to get.

i have done some reading and its seems that with the Sigma lens its quite easy to get vineting(spelling?) at the lower mm? is this correct and how do i avoide it?

I have also been tiped to get a double coated CPL/UV filter, dont have any filters at all, maybe its time to get them.

Now i was wondering what sizes should i go for?
-I would think a 55mm UV filter would be the right one for my 18-55
-But what about the Simga? Here i would be getting a 20mm?

Sorry for beeing a little all over the place but when i m not sure about things i tend to blur it all out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:57 am 
Hey alex168.

the sigma takes 77mm filters.

Most modern lenses - the Sigma included - already has UV filtering in the glass. Getting the UV filter is really getting more of a "scratch prevention filter" as cheap as possible :-)

The Sigma - even at it's widest, doesn't grab the filter edges. When lenses do, it looks like vignetting, but it is not - although it looks the same. If the filter is more than 7.5mm thick there can be some such "vignetting" in the 10-11mm range of the lens. With the 19mm thick filters, there can be some in the 10-13mm range.

As for the types of filters to get, there's always the standard polarizing filters and the neutral density grad filters to deal with very bright skies.

There are of course a gazillion other filters of all colors, stars, softening whites, etc. etc. but that is part of your creative process and only subject to your tastes.

There's also:

Nikon 12 - 24 mm f/4
Tokina 12 - 24 mm f/4
Tamron 11 - 18 mm f/4.5 - 5.6.

To consider, if you haven't already. However, the Tamron and Tokina would only focus manually on your D40x.

The Sigma can have some non-linear distortion that can be difficult to correct in post-processing. Horizontals can show "humps" as opposed to a much preferable smooth curve.

You may also have to prepare yourself to send it back once or twice, if it's not completely sharp when you receive it. The quality assurance and build-quality on this Sigma explains why it's cheaper than the Nikon. On the other hand, if you can get it sharp (or if it is when you get it) it's a great deal.

If you're like me, you treat your gear like a Fabergé Egg - pros bang it around with impunity and expect it to last.

I would like to get my hands on this lens as well for my D40 and I look very much forward to seeing some of your shots when you have had it out for a spin.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:18 am 
you need ........

UV or Skylight...... to protect your investment

Polariser...... you will loose 1-2 stops with this filter but you can control reflections darken down the sky, and much more

Grad filter...... these come in different strengths but about mid range will be good to darken down bright areas of sky, buildings, water, but you need to experiment a bit to understand how it all works...... and this is an easy learning curve, shot-look-see what the filter does..... and remember or write yourself a note

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:16 pm 

alex168 wrote:
Now i was wondering what sizes should i go for?
-I would think a 55mm UV filter would be the right one for my 18-55
-But what about the Simga? Here i would be getting a 20mm?

The filter size is printed on the end on the canon lenses with a little symbol that looks like a circle with a vertical line through it.

My EF-S 18-55mm kit lens has Φ58mm written on it