Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:25 pm 
Ok.... I have noticed with my DSLR ( E-510) that when i am looking at what i want to photograph thru the lens it appears much further away.....

I use my "smaller" lens to full extension (42mm) to get the same image as i see with my naked eye....

First question :

Is this normal?

Second:
What type of lens would i purchase to get "the naked eye view" ?
I have seen .45x and fisheyes ...but im not sure what to buy......

Thanks for taking the time....cause rememebr...we were all noobs at one time.... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:37 am 
Unless my memory fails me, I believe that a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera is considered to be very close to the "naked eye" view.

On a cropped sensor, you have to do the math. If your sensor is 1.5x, you'd use 50/1.5 (33mm) to reach a similar field-of-view as a 50mm on a 35mm camera (or Full Frame sensor in the DSLR world).

I'm not sure what your crop-factor is on your E-510, but your manual should tell you.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Lah's right...

And the crop factor on four thirds cameras like the E510 is 2x, so to match the 50mm field of view, you'd need a 25mm focal length.

But then there's also a magnification factor in the viewfinder to take into account when you're trying to match what you're seeing... it is a fun experiment anyway to have both eyes open and to adjust the zoom until the view through the viewfinder matches the magnification of the eye...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:21 pm 
Ok .. i will give it a shot...

Thank god for the live view feature...ti will make it easier....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm, Live View... well that will eliminate the viewfinder magnification from the equation, but will introduce its own factors! Try it with both and see what you think!