Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:17 pm 

UPDATE: my review of this lens is here.

Here's Tamron's announcement of the SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A009):

The most compact full-size, high-speed telephoto zoom lens, delivering leading-edge image quality with Tamron’s proprietary VC ( Vibration Compensation) and USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive).
Tamron Co., Ltd. (President and CEO: Morio Ono / Headquarters: Saitama City), a leading manufacturer of optical equipment, announced the development of a full-size, high-speed telephoto zoom lens equipped with VC ( Vibration Compensation) image stabilization, and USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive) that achieves leading-edge image quality while boasting the most compact design in its class.
Product Features:
One special XLD (Extra Low Dispersion) glass in concert with four LD ( Low Dispersion) elements minimize chromatic aberrations. This combined with a new optical design that delivers high contrast and high resolution throughout the zoom range achieves leading-edge image quality.
Tamron’s advanced multi-layer coating technology dramatically improves lens performance by reducing flare and ghosting for crisper, clearer images.
The rounded diaphragm affords the photographer spectacular blur effects, delivering the kind of rich expression only achievable with a high-speed telephoto zoom lens.
The most compact full-size, high-speed telephoto zoom lens with VC ( Vibration Compensation) image stabilization and USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive) in its class delivers superior mobility, enabling photographers to capture the previously unattainable.
Features USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive) to power a speedy AF drive together with a continuous manual focus mechanism.
The VC ( Vibration Compensation) image stabilization mechanism reduces camera shake to deliver sharp images.
Moisture-resistant construction helps prevent moisture from penetrating the lens.
--------------technical data---------------
Focal length: 70-200mm, Maximum aperture: F/2.8, Minimum aperture: F/32
Angle of view (diagonal): 34°21′- 12°21′ (with full-size SLR cameras), 22°33′- 7°59′ (with APS-C sized sensor digital SLR cameras)
Lens construction: 23 elements in 17 groups
Minimum focus distance: 1.3m (51.2 in)
Maximum magnification ratio: 1:8 (at f=200mm: MFD 1.3m)
Filter size: Ø 77mm
Length: 188.3mm (7.4 in)
Entire length: 196.7mm (7.7 in)
Diameter: Ø 85.8mm
Weight: 1470g (51.9 oz)*(including detachable tripod mount)
No. of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded diaphragm)
Standard accessory: Flower-shaped lens hood
Compatible mounts: Canon, Nikon, Sony
---------------------------------------------
unfortunately I couldn't find any delivery dates or prices...

Well, what can I say: This could be worthy contender for a 70-200mm shootout :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:27 am 

Can't wait to see this one go up against the all mighty Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:31 am 

Btw.: One thing changed dramatically apart from the inclusion of image stabilization (VC) with the new lens:
Max. magnification is only 1:8 whereas the old non-stabilized lens had 1:3.
So the optical formula sure has changed - and also had to change because of the inclusion of VC. Will really be interesting whether the new lens can keep the resolving power of its predecessor. (see my review here).
---
And here's a photo of it:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:37 pm 

From B&H: Price for preorder is 1499 USD and availability "after November 30" - whatever that means...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:21 pm 

What took Tamron so long to produce a Nikon version of their latest stabilized 70-200/2.8 VC zoom?
Well, finally a review-copy arrived at my doorsteps today and was taken through its first paces.

I also got the latest version of Nikon's 2x tele-converter (the AF-S TC-20E III) to test my 70-200/2.8 VR (x2 = 140-400/5.6) against the new Nikon AF-S 80-400/4.5-5.6 VR. Unfortunately I forgot that although the Tamron lens has a Nikon mount it won't mount on the Nikon TC.
Not sure who's fault this is: Nikon uses a slight variation on the front of the TC-mount that lets you mount Nikon lenses and Tamron uses a bayonet that is different e.g. from the bayonet on Nikon's 70-200/2.8 zoom.
But I have a modified AF-S TC-17E II tele-converter that mounts third-party lenses. Although it fails to multiply the EXIF-data of those lenses (the Tamron shot at 70mm f2.8 still registers as 70/2.8 while the Nikon registers as 120mm f4.8) it is in principle possible to shoot with AF and correct exposure. But the combination of the modded Nikon TC with the Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC kept on hunting for focus and only MF was possible - like with the Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS.
So if you want to use the Tamron with a TC go for another make like Kenko or a Sigma (Tamron does not offer a TC of their own). But who knows whether those are working correctly? So better try before you buy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:36 pm 

First testing indicates that the lens is quite strong at the short end (70mm + 105mm) but tends to show haloing (bleeding of light into dark areas) at 150mm and 200mm.
I have some images up here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 am 

After two unsuccessful tries to use a tele-converter on this lens (the unmodified Nikon 2x TC cannot be mounted and my modified Nikon 1.7x TC hunted in AF) i got my hands on a Sigma 2x TC: the Apo Tele converter 2x DG AF.
It mounts OK on the Tamron zoom but failed to acquire focus at any focal length. As with the Nikon 1.7x TC the focus keeps on hunting indefinitely. Sad!

The only other option that comes to my mind is the Kenko TC that has the added benefit that it can be used with lenses that require a motor in the camera-body to drive AF. Unfortunately I have none of these available to test right now. So there is a slim chance that the combination of a Kenko TC and the Tamron 70-200/2.8 might auto-focus. Try before you buy.

Or you might as well wait until my test-results show whether the Tamron is sharp enough at the long end (150mm + 200mm) to warrant looking into tele-converters. For a first impression I've uploaded some manually focused images made in combination with the Sigma 2x TC.
---
Addendum: The Sigma 2xTC would also not AF with the Nikon AF-S 70-200/2.8G VR II :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:51 am 

Some impressions from VC-testing: The Tamron VC seems to be slow at waking up!
Left: 2nd shot in a row some 30 seconds after VC was switched ON and some 10 seconds after VC was active. Right: 4th shot 17 seconds later.

Tamron70-200f2.8VC by Thomas, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:25 pm 

Another observation: again, this is a Tamron lens that is decentered - the weak corner being on the lower left.
So I have to re-shoot and re-process each and every of the 72 Siemens-star test-shots :evil:
Bad luck on my side and bad manufacturing practices / tolerances / quality control on Tamron's side.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:33 pm 

Hey Thomas!
First thins first, great in depth work so far :D
Do you know if decentered lenses fall under warranty? Or if there is any other way to fix this. I have the same problem on my Tamron 17-50, at least I think it's the same problem, I'm no expert, but a corner looks the same as in your picture. It's annoying as hell :/
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:56 pm 

Decentering is a defect that should be dealt with under warranty. I only have two reservations:
1. Can one expect a repair-center doing better work than the manufacturing plant?
2. Decentering is not an ON/OFF defect - it's gradual. So you might meet someone in the repair-center claiming "That's within our tolerances".
Both points may indicate that your best strategy perhaps is to give the lens back (if still possible) and try a new copy.
Sorry not to be more positive on this topic :?
---
Btw. I have a set with full 36MP resolution images from this lens here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:12 am 

Thanks Thomas,
I wasn't hopeful before. I'll give the warranty a shot, I'll report back in a few months I guess :lol: Warranty claims always take forever. :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:41 pm 

My mayor results from optical testing are already available here. More insights + the verdict are soon to follow.
Enjoy!
And if there are any questions and remarks, don't hesitate to post them here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:48 pm 

My review is now complete. You can find it here.
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:36 pm 

Now besides the strange warm-up behavior of the VC there were two other shortcomings of my first copy that I wanted to test again with the 2nd copy: decentering and a strange occurrence of residual spherical aberrations at 200mm.

Well, after testing the 2nd copy of this lens I can say:
- It has some obvious decentering too.
- It has some additional strange behavior when auto-focusing in live-view (contrast-based): The image does not come into sharp focus on the screen even after multiple focus acquisition. But when you switch AF off the screen immediately clears to a sharp image. Very strange. If you let AF=ON and go manually correcting for better focus you need to move the focus ring some way and come back before you can achieve optimal focus. Like you need to detach the gear from the AF-motor first to get it right. I should certainly look deeper into this but honestly I'm not very inclined to spend my time with such faulty gear!
- It has the same haloing showing up at the long end at f2.8. To give you an impression I've uploaded two composites. The first at 200mm left at f2.8, right at f4.0:
Tamron70-200f2-8_200mm by Thomas

Next at 160mm left at f2.8, right at f4.0:
Tamron70-200f2-8_160mm by Thomas

See what I mean?
I could have put focus a little differently at 200/2.8 to reduce the haloing effect but then resolution of fine details would have suffered. I've clearly seen this in infinity-shots also.
Now one bad apple might be a coincidence but two lenses with the same problems hint at either a design problem or at least a problem of this particular manufacturing batch.
That's a pity.