Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:27 pm 

Zeiss is following its extraordinary 55/1.4 Otus (see my review here) now with the very popular focal length of 85mm.
Find all major information about the new lens in this brochure (german/english).
It has the same sleek design as the 55/1.4 with a 86mm filter thread and is manual focus only!
The new lens should be available mid September already, the price an eye-watering 4500 US-$ / 4000 EUR (incl. 19% VAT).
DxOmark has already tested a sample on a D800E here. It's rated between the Otus 55/1.4 (selling at around 3400 EUR) and the also excellent Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 which at 1900 EUR looks like a bargain by comparison.
One of the unfortunate things about DxO measurements is that they only measure/show lateral CA but not longitudinal CA which in my opinion are the real bane of large aperture primes: what good is a lens that produces strong magenta halos for subjects in front of the focus plane and green coloration behind the focus plane. That simply looks ugly and is hard to correct in post-processing.

You can find example images from the new lens here.

Some facts:
- length x diameter (ZF.2): 138 mm (5.43‘‘) x 101 mm (3.98‘‘) (w/o lens-hood)
- weight (ZF.2): 1140g
- maximum magnification: 1:7.8
- minimum focus distance: 0,8 m (31.50’’)
- 11 lenses in 9 groups

And an image: